Early Victor Victrola VV-X Open Bottom "Spider Leg" Model

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Early Victor Victrola VV-X Open Bottom "Spider Leg" Model

Post by brianu »

here's one of those early VV-X's, which were first produced around 1911 or 1912 as tablemodels, then ever so briefly as floor models like this one with the open bottom and storage shelf (which originally would have held those fairly rare record storage boxes, which I sadly do not have), before they ultimately ended up as pretty standard looking uprights. this machine has the exhibition reproducer, two-spring motor, a pretty decent sound despite the relatively small horn... but the biggest thing for me was the finish - if you find one of these, usually it's mahogany, rarely oak, and this is actually one of those special oak finishes - either fumed or, more likely, weathered (I have trouble telling the difference).

for comparison... a standard upright model VV-XI (which the later VV-X's resembled), also in weathered oak...

and here's a cabinet for a similar upright, a VV-100, but in the more standard oak finish...

richardh

Re: Early Victor Victrola VV-X Open Bottom "Spider Leg" Model

Post by richardh »

This VV-X is an interesting model to me as HMV produced a very similar model (minus the stand) They called it the Table Grand. It looks very similar to the first phonograph I ever bought. Except mine has an HMV logo on the lid rather than the Victrola one. Its interesting just how similar some models were and how thinking was along similar line...ummmmmm! :D

RJ 8-)

Tampa Don
Victor Jr

Post by Tampa Don »

Nice phonograph. I've always liked the Spider leg model. I have a VV-50 in the fumed oak. I think it's a nice alternative to the usual oak or mahagony.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Brian,

Beautiful machine, I've always liked the Spider Leg VV-X. I hope to own one some day. TampaDon, a fumed oak VV-50 was be a rear rarity! I don't think that was a standard offering. I wonder if there were many special order VV-50s?

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

I know I've seen a spider leg HMV version at some point on ebay over the years...or was it on someone's website? I can't remember. I also vaguely recall seeing a near dead ringer for the the X, as well as a model where the cabinet was a little different from the X...sadly I didn't have the sense to save the image.