Great three phono day!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Great three phono day!

Post by Jerry B. »

We recently spent a couple of days with DeeDee's family in Bakersfield, CA. Her uncle said his brother was a hoarder that had some machines he was planning to sell. I had low expectations but I was wrong. He had a Fireside with a Music Master horn, Edison Opera with no elbow, horn, or gear cover, and a Victor IV with a Columbia BI back bracket, tone arm, and big nickel horn. All three are project machines but they will be terrific when complete. I made a fair offer of several thousand dollars and can't wait to start on them. Sorry but no photos at the moment.

Jerry Blais

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Great three phono day!

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Jerry B. wrote:We recently spent a couple of days with DeeDee's family in Bakersfield, CA. Her uncle said his brother was a hoarder that had some machines he was planning to sell. I had low expectations but I was wrong. He had a Fireside with a Music Master horn, Edison Opera with no elbow, horn, or gear cover, and a Victor IV with a Columbia BI back bracket, tone arm, and big nickel horn. All three are project machines but they will be terrific when complete. I made a fair offer of several thousand dollars and can't wait to start on them. Sorry but no photos at the moment.

Jerry Blais
Wow! Several THOUSAND dollars! :shock: My family would shoot me if I paid that much money for phonos! Congrats on your finds Jerry!

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Jerry B. Congratulations. Yeah when I spend that kind of money I do not tell many people. Ha ha Sounds like some fun machines.......

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Jerry B. Congratulations. Yeah when I spend that kind of money I do not tell many people. Ha ha Sounds like some fun machines.......
I paid a fair price for the projects and did not want to give the impression that I took advantage of a less than knowledgeable seller. He did tell me that he paid $25 for the Opera! :shock: :o :D

Jerry B.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Sounds like you got a super deal, Jerry. Once you get them, you'd better get working on them so they will be ready for sale at Union. :mrgreen: :clover:
Harvey Kravitz

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

This opens an intriguing new area of humble-bragging here on the forum.

Where most of us are satisfied with smugly saying stuff like...

"Oh, yes, it's one of my favorite Tommy Johnson blues records on Paramount, and it sounds great on all 7 of my Vic VI's"

we can now add icing-on-the-cake phrases like...

"...for which I paid hundreds and hundreds of thousands of cents."

Thanks Jerry, you're a peach!

(of the thousands we harvest each year from our several groves out back)

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Nice acquisition Jerry! A little envy here and I do appreciate you sharing.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Jerry B. wrote:We recently spent a couple of days with DeeDee's family in Bakersfield, CA. Her uncle said his brother was a hoarder that had some machines he was planning to sell. I had low expectations but I was wrong. He had a Fireside with a Music Master horn, Edison Opera with no elbow, horn, or gear cover, and a Victor IV with a Columbia BI back bracket, tone arm, and big nickel horn. All three are project machines but they will be terrific when complete. I made a fair offer of several thousand dollars and can't wait to start on them. Sorry but no photos at the moment.

Jerry Blais

Sounds really interesting and looking forward to seeing the photo's.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Can not wait to see the machines.. Can you post a few pics of the restoration of each one.. Tom

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Can not wait to see the machines.. Can you post a few pics of the restoration of each one.. Tom
We are currently in Mesa, AZ for the month of February so it will be some time before I get back to my work bench. I'll take some "as found" photos before I start.

I'd love to hear from Arizona collectors. Please send a text to 541-990-0781.

Thanks, Jerry Blais