Did any machines come stock with horizontal carriage?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Did any machines come stock with horizontal carriage?

Post by Mormon S »

What models of Edison standards came stock with a horizontal carriages, if any, & what are the advantages of them? I know that they fit the larger reproducers like the N,S,O etc, but what was the reason for the change?

Thanks
Martin

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Did any machines come stock with horizontal carriage?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The Standard F came stock with it because of the Model S combination reproducer.

Large reproducers work in angled carriages if they are like the Model E, which has an N reproducer and angled carriage arm. The combination models utilize a horizontal carriage.

Also, converting machines to work with the Diamond B and a cygnet horn is a frequent reason for conversions both in the period and today among less picky collectors. (Disclaimer: I would never knowingly buy a machine thus converted.)

The legendary Standard G is also thus equipped.

callron
Victor O

Post by callron »

I have an original Home Model D, 2/4 combo with horizontal carriage and large reproducer. I wanted the horizontal carriage so I could add a Cygnet horn.
Attachments
DSCN6689.JPG

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

When the Model D Homes, Triumphs, and Idealias came out, They initially had the slant carriage These were know as the D-1. When the horizontal carriages came out, these were the D-2. I have a D-2 Triumph with an O reproducer and Cygnet horn.
Harvey Kravitz

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:The Standard F came stock with it because of the Model S combination reproducer.

Large reproducers work in angled carriages if they are like the Model E, which has an N reproducer and angled carriage arm. The combination models utilize a horizontal carriage.

Also, converting machines to work with the Diamond B and a cygnet horn is a frequent reason for conversions both in the period and today among less picky collectors. (Disclaimer: I would never knowingly buy a machine thus converted.)

Wasn't the S designed to fit into the smaller, angled carriage?

Bill

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

Lucius1958 wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:The Standard F came stock with it because of the Model S combination reproducer.

Wasn't the S designed to fit into the smaller, angled carriage?

Bill
The carriage on the standard Model F was horizontal but has the smaller opening to accept the Model S reproducer.