Crank size for VV-IX?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
zenith82
Victor II

Crank size for VV-IX?

Post by zenith82 »

A friend brought over a later production (1920 according to the serial) VV-IX that had the crank swiped over 30 years ago. I haven't owned or even looked at a VV-IX in years, so I can't remember offhand what size the crank was. Does anyone know the dimensions of the crank and the thread size on it? Thanks!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Crank size for VV-IX?

Post by Jerry B. »

You just need a common male threaded Victrola crank. Measure from the end of the winding shaft to the outside of the cabinet. Now add 2" to that length and you have the approximate distance to the first bend on the crank. The crank should be nickel plated. Now place an ad in the Trader Section of our Forum after reading the guidelines.

Jerry B.

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

Jerry B. wrote:You just need a common male threaded Victrola crank. Measure from the end of the winding shaft to the outside of the cabinet. Now add 2" to that length and you have the approximate distance to the first bend on the crank. The crank should be nickel plated. Now place an ad in the Trader Section of our Forum after reading the guidelines.

Jerry B.
Thanks, Jerry.

I actually think I have a spare somewhere I can give him for the machine. The challenge is finding what I did with it.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Zenith82,

The common size thread is ⅜” with 24 threads per inch. My guess the crank dimensions are 7” x 5” x 3”.

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

Victrola-Monkey wrote:Zenith82,

The common size thread is ⅜” with 24 threads per inch. My guess the crank dimensions are 7” x 5” x 3”.
Thanks.

I found one that I believe will work. I had a trashed VV-X that I parted out years ago and found the crank. Seems to fit the VV-IX, though I'm not going to try to wind it until I disassemble and clean everything.