Early vs. Later Models

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Early vs. Later Models

Post by Victrolacollector »

We all know that the common VV-IV and VV-VI are some of the most common tabletop machines. They had a long production run for many years, However, there are some of these that are more sought after. The earliest models used those motors with wide cut gears, tone arms which were also used on outside horn models. The cranks were the flat type crank as well. There are some VV-IV models with the metal grille.

What are your thoughts on the earliest of these models? More collectible and higher prices? Or simply just love the style?

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Early vs. Later Models

Post by Phonofreak »

I think the earlier models are more collectible than later models. In the old days collectors would cannibalize these early machines for out side horn models. I saw that practice in the late 80's when I started collecting. The earlier models always went higher than later models, sometimes double the price. To a lesser extent, the same today. Personally, I prefer Victrolas before 1913.
Harvey Kravitz

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I like all of 'em! For a long time when I was young my dream Victrola was (don't laugh!) an oak VV-IV. They're kind of cute and very nice to look at.

Victrolas before 1913 have that wonderful early style, but after 1913 they look like...well, Victrolas. And that was always the ultimate antique to me, so I like that.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

I'd really like to get the first version of the VV-IV sometime, just for fun. The one with the nickel grille and the same reproducer used on the Victor O. I found one for sale recently but it was in TERRIBLE condition and I passed (which is saying something since I take in all the rescues, LOL)

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Phonofreak wrote:I think the earlier models are more collectible than later models. In the old days collectors would cannibalize these early machines for out side horn models. I saw that practice in the late 80's when I started collecting. The earlier models always went higher than later models, sometimes double the price. To a lesser extent, the same today. Personally, I prefer Victrolas before 1913.
Harvey Kravitz
That happened with the early VV-IV one I bought, it was missing the tone arm. I was very fortunate to find the correct tone arm for it, it took me about 3 years to find it. I imagine someone took the original tone arm off to use on a horn model.