New to forum, and Graphophones

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jiron
Victor Jr

New to forum, and Graphophones

Post by Jiron »

Hello, I am a new user to the talking machine forums. I recently inherited my dad‘s graphophone, it also belonged to his dad. He told me it was the only thing he left him. From looking online I’m pretty sure it’s a Columbia graphophone model BQ, but that’s only from looking at pictures.
I would like to clean it up and get it running, there is a broken screw on the plate that holds the needle in that needs replacing. And I’m not sure if the belt is original or will actually work. I have not been able to get the machine to turn it all, but I don’t know the proper procedure. I do have two big boxes of records that are in various shapes some look like new.
I will try and post some pictures.
Attachments
18DC6639-1D8B-44E3-8B5B-6A6DCD63F309.jpeg
64A1858C-1C6D-4A9A-8F13-CC598A8258E0.jpeg
Last edited by Jiron on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: New to forum, and Graphaphones

Post by Jerry B. »

Jiron, Welcome to the Forum. I'll leave it to the Columbia experts to comment on the model. But I would say how special to have a family piece. Any Graphophone with the back bracket and tone arm is quite desirable. I'm sure with some minor work your machine will be making music again.

Jerry B.

Jiron
Victor Jr

Post by Jiron »

Thank you Jerry, yes it is very special to me. My Dad showed it to me for years, but I never heard it play. Being a mechanic by trade, and interested in all things old( I collect old cars and tools), I am anxious to get it working again.
Here is a pic of the broken screw.
Attachments
0C37A79D-C3A8-48D9-8D56-16E4DBB3A88F.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Just put a few drops of penetrating oil on the screw, grab what's left of it with a plier and screw it out. Use the end of the jaws with the plier, not the side of the jaws, grabbing the flat side with one jaw, and the round side with the other.

Jiron
Victor Jr

Post by Jiron »

Does anyone sell replacement screws that are correct?

Here’s a better picture of the entire record player.
Attachments
A1839283-0BA5-4B67-9209-47D625C5D974.jpeg

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: New to forum, and Graphophones

Post by Phonofreak »

First, Welcome aboard to the Forum. As others stated, you have a Columbia BQ circa 1980-10, or so. Yours is a straight 2 min. machine.I had the same problem with a broken screw in the reproducer carriage. I couldn't get it out. I drilled it out and used a 1-72 tap to thread the holes. Fortunately, I still had the screw head. I drilled a small hole into the head making sure that I don't go through it. Then I removed the head of the new screw and soldered it in place. For cosmetic work, clean up and restoration, get Eric Reiss's book, The Complete Talking Machine. This is the bible for phonograph restoration. There isa great article on making belts. Good luck with your BQ.
Harvey Kravitz

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

At the Orlando phono sale Ron Sitko was selling a terrific plier type tool for removing difficult screws or broken ones like the one in this thread. The tool only cost $20.

Jerry B.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

There's a great deal you can do yourself. Non-pumice GoJo is a great cabinet cleaner. Just apply with a rag or gently with 0000 steel wool. I'd suggest using the search feature of our Forum for tips on oiling points and cleaning bright parts. Please ask any questions. It's a friendly place. Jerry Blais

Jiron
Victor Jr

Post by Jiron »

Thanks! I will do a search. I will probably gather all the info I can before attempting any repairs. I do not plan to “restore” it, but yes, clean it up and get it working.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Hi Jiron,

Nice phonograph and great idea to just clean it and make it go rather than do a full-on restoration. Those get expensive after a while.

I was going to say, the reproducers in these things need fresh gaskets after a while...and a full century is a while. If you buy a set of gaskets for an Edison Model C reproducer, which I think cost about three dollars, you can replace the gaskets and get the diaphragm to stop buzzing. The improvement is mind-blowing and on yours, with that big morning-glory horn, you will want that thing working as well as it can.

Anyhow, I also was admiring the nice patina that thing has picked up. Usually I hate patina...call it rust...but yours looks like a good honest antique. Good luck fixing it up!