Does anyone have a Newby & Evans phonograph?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
zenith82
Victor II

Re: Does anyone have a Newby & Evans phonograph?

Post by zenith82 »

Curt A wrote:
I have never heard of this method, but I am going to try it... I have a lid that is coated with some type of poly that I have been unable to remove, so we'll see how it works.
You'll have to report back to us on this. I heard of this formula from a family friend who is a painter, but he said results vary depending on the type and amount of poly used. I've never tried it myself. I usually steer clear of pieces that have been refinished in poly.

Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

Post by Jonsheff »

zenith82 wrote:
Curt A wrote:
I usually steer clear of pieces that have been refinished in poly.
I agree, i wouldnt buy a Victrola that was refinished with poly either unless it was a first class restoration and since i dont buy restored pieces, it means never. i have seen some poor work with poly used and there is really no way to fix it. The only reason i have chosen to use it for my restorations is its longevity and durability. My restorations will never need to be re-restored, i expect them to be around another 100 years and unfortunately unless a collector or someone who will maintain the finish shellac just doesnt last that long, i have seen plenty of shot shellac finishes (black, aligatored, water damage etc.). People sometimes just dont take proper care of things.
I will be checking back to see if the poly remover works, who knows, i might end up buying a piece that someone used it on and i need to get it off to do a proper restoration.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Jonsheff wrote:
zenith82 wrote:
Curt A wrote:
I usually steer clear of pieces that have been refinished in poly.
I agree, i wouldnt buy a Victrola that was refinished with poly either unless it was a first class restoration and since i dont buy restored pieces, it means never. i have seen some poor work with poly used and there is really no way to fix it. The only reason i have chosen to use it for my restorations is its longevity and durability. My restorations will never need to be re-restored, i expect them to be around another 100 years and unfortunately unless a collector or someone who will maintain the finish shellac just doesnt last that long, i have seen plenty of shot shellac finishes (black, aligatored, water damage etc.). People sometimes just dont take proper care of things.
I will be checking back to see if the poly remover works, who knows, i might end up buying a piece that someone used it on and i need to get it off to do a proper restoration.
Y'know... you should look into French polishing.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Jonsheff wrote: .... My restorations will never need to be re-restored, i expect them to be around another 100 years and unfortunately unless a collector or someone who will maintain the finish shellac just doesnt last that long, i have seen plenty of shot shellac finishes (black, aligatored, water damage etc..
Kind of "awesome" to think about: in another hundred years, it will be TWO HUNDRED years old :o !

I think, in cases where a Victrola has been completely stripped and refinished--especially with materials not authentic to the time it was originally manufactured--it's a good idea to post a note, somewhere inside the cabinet providing information about the type of finish used along with the date that this was done, who did the work, etc.. If nothing else, it will add to the history of the machine should it appear on the 22nd century version of "Antiques Roadshow," or whatever.

I agree with gramophone-georg. In fact, French Polishing can do wonders, and it's relatively easy to master -- https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... lishing%22 especially by someone who has the skills to do a complete strip and refinish job.

OrthoFan

Jonsheff
Victor II

Post by Jonsheff »

OrthoFan wrote:
Jonsheff wrote: .... My restorations will never need to be re-restored, i expect them to be around another 100 years and unfortunately unless a collector or someone who will maintain the finish shellac just doesnt last that long, i have seen plenty of shot shellac finishes (black, aligatored, water damage etc..
Kind of "awesome" to think about: in another hundred years, it will be TWO HUNDRED years old :o !

I think, in cases where a Victrola has been completely stripped and refinished--especially with materials not authentic to the time it was originally manufactured--it's a good idea to post a note, somewhere inside the cabinet providing information about the type of finish used along with the date that this was done, who did the work, etc.. If nothing else, it will add to the history of the machine should it appear on the 22nd century version of "Antiques Roadshow," or whatever.

I agree with gramophone-georg. In fact, French Polishing can do wonders, and it's relatively easy to master -- https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... lishing%22 especially by someone who has the skills to do a complete strip and refinish job.

OrthoFan
Yea, hard to think of them at 200 years old. I have tags printed with my company name New England Victrola & Clock and include original and reman dates as well as model etc

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Remanufacturing is a good way to describe this. Your machines are a lot like what a Victrola would look like if Victor Talking Machine was still open nowadays and making quality phonographs.

Unfortunately, all there is now at the VTM Company is a hipster named Graham Alexander who has rebadged a bunch of Crosleys and started holding music festivals in a bank vault...Maybe he will come around. He seems to like the old technology some.

Jonsheff
Victor II

Post by Jonsheff »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Remanufacturing is a good way to describe this. Your machines are a lot like what a Victrola would look like if Victor Talking Machine was still open nowadays and making quality phonographs.

Unfortunately, all there is now at the VTM Company is a hipster named Graham Alexander who has rebadged a bunch of Crosleys and started holding music festivals in a bank vault...Maybe he will come around. He seems to like the old technology some.
Yea, i was wondering about that. I have been seeing the victrola brand on new product, i thought the chineese bought the trademark and were cranking out cheap copies. Music festivals in a bank vault? Sounds like fun.

Jonsheff
Victor II

Post by Jonsheff »

I finally fixed the leg on the Newby & Evans that those idiots at Old Dominion Freight snapped off by ramming a fork lift thru the shipping crate. I listed it for sale yesterday and it has sold already. I am glad i decided to fix it and not just part it out like I was considering. Here is the leg before the repair and after;
20190127_120339.jpg
20190307_185249.jpg
20190307_185333.jpg
20190307_185303.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Three legs bad, four legs good!

Nice job--that repair is invisible! Glad to hear it's off to its new owner. I am sure they'll appreciate it and hopefully it can get many more people enjoying some classic 78s.