Geo. Long console- how rare?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Geo. Long console- how rare?

Post by epigramophone »

drh wrote:
phonogfp wrote:
zenith82 wrote:I'd keep it intact.

There's a growing number of collectors who are taking interest in the so-called "off brands". I've personally never cared much for the term "off brand", as it tends to have a negative impression. Some off brand phonographs were very good quality in terms of cabinets and mechanics while others were cheaply made. Some collectors, myself included, tend to get bored with Victors, Columbias, and Edisons after a while.
I agree. There are certain off-brand machines I like very much such as Kammer & Reinhardt, Echophone, United States Talking Machine, Vitaphone, Star, Zonophone, Yankee Prince, Autophone, Talkophone, Duplex, Rectorphone, Brooks, Shell-O-Phone, etc.

The term "off brand" really shouldn't carry a negative connotation, but I'm open to an alternative word/phrase.

The inexpensive off brands of the teens and 20s are nice starting places for new collectors with limited budgets and lots of enthusiasm.

George P.
I agree; it would be sad to cut up a machine that has lived this long.

Rather than "off brand," how about something like "minor brand"? Or, taking a cue from the world of pianos, "stencil brand"?
In the UK we call these machines "Assembled" gramophones, simply because they were assembled from bought in components.
The term is not a derogatory one. Even prestigious makers such as EMG and Expert used bought in motors.

ironandsteel
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Collector and tinkerer of many things

Re: Geo. Long console- how rare?

Post by ironandsteel »

I found an ad for basically the same machine as mine, but in far better shape. It has a Wurlitzer tag inside, but I've read that this was a dealer tag and not the manufacturer.
For purposes of clarity, I'll call this unit the Wurlitzer, and I'll call mine the Long - even though the Wurlitzer cabinet is also made by Long. Confused yet?

(Note that some of the parts have been removed from the Long- I have them. The machine is current being stored on its side).

The cabinet of the Wurlitzer in this photo is almost exactly like what I have - only the frilly decoration on the doors is a bit different.

Here is the front of mine (Long):

Here is the Wurlitzer:

And the Long:

Notice this Victor tag on the Wurlitzer:

Both machines have the same patent date tag and "Long" decal:

The Wurlitzer machine has a tag from a Victrola VV-VI - which is a desktop machine. So- is it possible that Wurlitzer purchased a cabinet from the Geo. A Long company, and installed the guts of a VV-VI, and sold it as a console machine?

My machine (the beat up "Long") has identical mechanics, so maybe it also was a Victor VV-VI transplanted into a Long cabinet. By whom, I wonder? Possibly the Long company, or some other furniture dealer, or even some end user?

It is fascinating to do the forensics on these things to figure out how things were done 100 years ago.