Are VE electric XVI Victrolas worth buying?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

Are VE electric XVI Victrolas worth buying?

Post by Jonsheff »

I have an opportunity to get a 1913 VE-XVI Victrola with an electric motor. I have been buying, restoring and reselling only the VV crank type but was wondering if this electric version would be resellable. The strange thing is that according to the Victor Victrola website the electric type were first offered in December 1913 and this on is dated August 1913.
Are the electric types collectable? Same value as the crank type?

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Are VE electric XVI Victrolas worth buying?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Not to sound pedantic, but if it's coated in polyurethane at the end of the restoration, then no, it's not going to be worth much of anything.

However, an electric Victrola is worth at least as much as the crank-type and likely would be easier to restore. Sundial Wire is a great source for cloth-covered flex if you want to rewire the old way. I use their products for old lamps and fans.

If it's still in pretty good original shape, I'd freshen up the motor and soundbox and give it a good clean and wax. If it's a little rough then it's time for a full redo.

It's a really rare find and I wish you all the best on the restoration!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I think one of the oddities of collecting is the value of electric Victrolas. It was generally a $50 option and was exercised by only 10% of buyers. You'd think that the scarcity would be reflected in an increased value but that is not the case. If all things are equal a VE-XVI is worth about the same as a VV-XVI. Can others site examples where scarcity is not rewarded with a higher value? Which would you take?

A mahogany Victrola or a walnut Victrola?
A mahogany Victor MS or an oak Victor MS?
An Edison Alva or an Edison Triumph?
A Circassian VV-XVI or a Vernis Martin VV-XVI?

The current value of any collectable is determined by the collecting community. When I started collecting in the 70's a Victor School Model was worth roughly the same as a Victor VI. Today I'd estimate the value of the Victor School Model to be about 60% the value of a Victor VI. Values change.

Jerry B.

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

It does seem like a lot of the electric Victrolas survived, even though there were a lot less of them produced than the spring motor models. I have a VE-XVI, serial number 501, which was the first VE-XVI off the assembly line in October 1913. I don't really use it that often, but it's a cool piece to have.

As for value, I would say it's probably about the same as a VV-XVI, provided it's all there and in reasonably good condition. There may be a slight premium depending on if someone really wants an electric example, but it wouldn't be that significant. And please, as VanEpsFan1914 said, don't sand and finish it in polyurethane, as that will sharply reduce the value in a collector's eyes.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Several years ago I bought a VE-XVI from Jerry and gave it to my refinisher as a present. For years he had drooled over the stuff he had worked on for me. Not being a collector, he knew nothing about relevant values, but I can tell you that he was over the moon about his gift and talks about it every time he sees me.

My point in mentioning this is that "collectors" can be too purist or narrow-minded with their requirements. That's fine for them, but
there are potentially millions of people who would love to own a Victrola or similar phonograph.

Raphael
Attachments
mack2.JPG

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Raphael wrote: My point in mentioning this is that "collectors" can be too purist or narrow-minded with their requirements. That's fine for them, but
there are potentially millions of people who would love to own a Victrola or similar phonograph.

Raphael
Absolutely. Most of us have experienced this when people come through to see our collections. We as collectors may be stoked to point out the very rare Onlyoneograph with the optional Drool-O-Horn sitting on a magnificent mahogany Cylodisc Cabinet. But 99 out of 100 people will point to a Victrola IV and exclaim, "Look at the cute little doors!" :)

George P.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Raphael wrote:Several years ago I bought a VE-XVI from Jerry and gave it to my refinisher as a present. For years he had drooled over the stuff he had worked on for me. Not being a collector, he knew nothing about relevant values, but I can tell you that he was over the moon about his gift and talks about it every time he sees me.

My point in mentioning this is that "collectors" can be too purist or narrow-minded with their requirements. That's fine for them, but

Raphael
Very nice thing to do, Raphael. The picture says it all.

Not everyone needs or wants a collection or even a rarity. Some just want a machine that speaks to them. A nice piece of nostalgia that you can enjoy with more than one sense. I would take my Oak L-Door over an M Class Edison any day because it is what I prefer to look at and play. I buy the machines that appeal to me, not as a collector, but as someone with an emotional connection.

Hang Glider pilots always debate which piece of equipment is best. I was having that debate many years when my friend’s wife said something that I will never forget, she said “if everyone loved roses, what would a daisy do?”. Something to remember when talking about value.

To address the original question, that depends on your desires and needs. Worth is subjective.
Last edited by Django on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

phonogfp wrote:

Absolutely. Most of us have experienced this when people come through to see our collections. We as collectors may be stoked to point out the very rare Onlyoneograph with the optional Drool-O-Horn sitting on a magnificent mahogany Cylodisc Cabinet. But 99 out of 100 people will point to a Victrola IV and exclaim, "Look at the cute little doors!" :)

George P.

Yes indeed. A few years ago I was visiting a customer in NY, (he's a member of this Forum), and he had an eclectic collection of revolutionary-war furnishings, art, and phonographs. He told me that when he shows people around, they usually only make a comment on how fabulous his new flat-screen TV is. Oh, well. As Yogi Berra is reputed to have said: "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be".

Raphael

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

I like it when people watch my 10-70 go through all the rigmarole of changing a record and then after it's over they will say, "WOW, it shuts itself off!" It is funny how other people view all the stuff collectors drag home.

My Mom is 87 and she has gotten to be really good friends with her ex-husband from 60 years ago. Glenn is really a nice guy and it's been fun getting to know him. He is now 89 and was over here a few months ago. When I told him that the 10-70 was made in 1927 he said his folks got married that year. And then he wanted to know how much it was new, et. If you've ever heard one of those things, they do have a great deal of volume. He messed around with the volume controls some and said "I just thought my folks were hard of hearing when they were old. I think those people were hard of hearing their whole life!" The volume comes up really fast on that thing. He of course was really fascinated with how that thing works.

XVI's are nice machines. They must have been considered a good deal for the money that was being asked of them or Victor wouldn't have sold so many of them. It's too bad that interest in that generation of antiques is going by the wayside, but it's just the way it is I guess. Radios will be next.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Raphael, I love the photo. Words are not needed.

Jerry Blais