Keeping track of what you pay?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Keeping track of what you pay?

Post by Victrolacollector »

Do any collectors here keep a record of what they have paid for machines and records? I started keeping a record of every machine, part and record that I have acquired. I never kept a record for business purposes, but when it came time to sell stuff or trade, it is nice to see what I have invested, and any gains or losses.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Keeping track of what you pay?

Post by Jerry B. »

Yes, I have a yearly log of transactions but only for my own interests. Jerry B.

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Considering that I do this as a hobby, No, I don't keep accurate records, (I wouldn't want my wife to know how many $'s I've shelled out!).

But when I sell or trade, I usually go by memory.

The only problem is that as I get older it's getting hard to remember what I paid for items several years back.

I have left explicit instructions for my wife to call Stantons if I kick the bucket, at least then she will get fair market value.

Cheers, Bob S.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Every machine I have owned for the last 20 odd years is listed with the purchase price and the cost of repairs, if any. If a machine is ever sold, I note the sale price and the resulting profit or loss.

I started doing this to try as far as possible to make the hobby self financing at a time when I was raising a family and paying a mortgage. The family is now financially independent and the mortgage was paid off many years ago, but old habits die hard.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I began keeping a detailed account of my acquisitions in 1973. Not just items and prices, but the stories that go along with them. Names, dates, ups, downs, and a number of stories that will not see the light of day. These are for my own amusement and my anticipated failing memory. At this point, it's 180 single-spaced pages.

Like Bob, I have left instructions in several places for my family in case of my untimely end. Those aren't nearly as much fun to read.

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

I do. As a pro chef of 25 years (left the biz 19 years ago to become a toolmaker), I used to rely completely on memory for literally 1000's of recipes. I had total recall, until a mishap with my heart, and some very dicey near-death experiences (several heart stoppages - up to and exceeding a minute at a time) which obliterated some very important memories. Randomly.

I lost some very important data, forever.

After that, the pencil and paper became my memory.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

George- thank you in advance as I'm sure you remembered Fran and myself in those instructions you left.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I used the Time Sheath, another of the many less-known benefits of APS membership, to check up on Bob S.
Considering that I do this as a hobby, No, I don't keep accurate records, (I wouldn't want my wife to know how many $'s I've shelled out!).

But when I sell or trade, I usually go by memory.

The only problem is that as I get older it's getting hard to remember what I paid for items several years back.

I have left explicit instructions for my wife to call Stantons if I kick the bucket, at least then she will get fair market value.

Cheers, Bob S.
Luckily my iPhone remained functional during travel in the Temporal Vortex, and I was thus able to capture the exact moment of the prophesied pedal-driven propulsion of said metallic container:

https://youtu.be/uFBNjWrXF1I

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

rodpickett wrote:George- thank you in advance as I'm sure you remembered Fran and myself in those instructions you left.
Naw. He left it all to Tim F.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

rodpickett wrote:George- thank you in advance as I'm sure you remembered Fran and myself in those instructions you left.
Yeah, you two were mentioned when I warned Barbie about jackals circling the house.
PeterF wrote: Naw. He left it all to Tim F.
And he was mentioned in conjunction with locking the doors and electrifying the hardware. It's a mad, mad world.

George P.