Back to Basics with a Victrola IV

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Back to Basics with a Victrola IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

I have owned a VV IV and VV VI in the past. I bought a VV VI three years ago for a science teacher here in Lubbock who uses it yearly for her unit on sound and vibrations. She also includes the concepts of gravity, force, friction, and the music itself.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

I have been needing to rebuild my little VV-IV. Seeing your post has me motivated to start working on mine. Right now it plays and looks pretty, but the motor needs a good cleaning and regreasing. The little guy is REALLY hard to crank at the moment too. I'm hoping once I take everything apart and clean it, it will be easier to wind up.

Thanks for sharing your machine and experience.

-Travis

Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

Post by Jonsheff »

jsimmons0331: I used Blue Magic polish and paper towels. Actually, because it was so gross, I used an SOS pad to very gently scrub the surface dirt away first. I wouldn't normally recommend that at all unless it was really, really dirty (which it was). I figured, what do I have to lose? I wasn't even sure there was nickel plating left. I have used this Blue Magic polish on a few nickel and chrome things and it works very well. I'm sure there are better ones, but I had this in the garage. It took several goings-over. I thought I had it done one night only to find it slightly blackened in the morning. I used it once more and now it has stayed looking good.[/quote]

Nice job on that, especially bringing the tone arm back. I will have to give the blue magic a try, i have been using simichrome polish but always looking for better.