Does this restored XVII have the wrong plating finish?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Re: Does this restored XVII have the wrong plating finish?

Post by Django »

Django wrote:
Jerry B. wrote:On the VV-XVI and up, gold plating was used with the exception of the turntable. They were nickel plated because the brake rubbed on the outside edge of the turntable and a gold plated edge would wear quickly. The nickel plated turntable edge continued even though later brakes rubbed on the inside edge of the turntable. When did Victor start plating the turntable gold? Should the XVII have a gold edge?

Thanks, Jerry Blais
My 1917, VV-XVII, 120 and 130 all have Gold plated turntables. The plating on the tonearm is a bit brighter than any Gold plating that I have seen on a Victrola, but at least on my monitor, the color of the machine looks wrong as well. Plating can be dulled pretty easily.
Off the original topic, but back to Jerry's turntable question, The XVIII, (just before the XVII), also had a Gold plated turntable. Later XVI machines had a Gold plated turntable as well.
Attachments
00195VVXVI05.jpg
VE-XVIII.jpg

Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

Post by Jonsheff »

The Craigslist add claims the machine was restored by the "team at the victor victrola website". I would think those guys would be fanatic about period correctness.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/atq/d/h ... 24179.html

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Jonsheff wrote:The Craigslist add claims the machine was restored by the "team at the victor victrola website". I would think those guys would be fanatic about period correctness.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/atq/d/h ... 24179.html
It may be a case of over-restoration. Gold doesn’t tarnish, but the prep and the lower platings will effect shine. Base material can migrate over time and cause the plating to become dull. None of us ever saw one of these machines when it left the factory, but I have doubts that the hardware looked like jewelry. Even using authentic materials does not insure an authentic result. Many of us would much rather have a presentable survivor than an over-restored machine. If a machine is a wreck, then of course a restoration is a valid option. There are collectors that believe that as found is best, but not so much with members of this forum. The preference seems to be careful preservation.

I do understand that there is a point when a restoration is the only way to bring a machine back to a useful condition. If someone is preventing a machine from becoming “repurposed” or scrapped, then the hope is that the machine isn’t hot rodded to the point that it loses it’s authenticity.

I am glad that you have not dismissed us and are open to our comments. Most of us are passionate about these machines and we feel a responsibility as caretakers. There will never be a time again when machines are also a work of art with their beautiful veneers, carved columns and graceful designs. And you can listen to the past as it sounded at the time.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

The platers I have dealt with all seem to default to a highly polished gold finish. When I restored the interior of my Credenza, I spent a good deal of time discussing the Victor gold plating with the semi-matte (or is it semi-polished?) finish. In the end, my plater was able to do a fairly accurate replication by creative abrasive use during the polishing phase.

If that tone arm was re-plated, I'd suspect that the plater just went with the default gold finish.

Martin

andyjon100
Victor I

Post by andyjon100 »

Looking at mine, I was wondering if there may have been a clear lacquer or something sprayed on originally that has darkened and /or clouded over time? Gold doesn't tarnish, yet the dull look of the gold is almost like tarnished brass. They have found gold objects thousands of years old that still shine like new after the filth is washed off. I don't understand the logic of gold plating something only to intentionally dull it, when they could have had the same effect much cheaper using brass....This discussion has raged in the antique radio world also - with brass escutcheons. A lot of folks cringe when someone polishes one up to a high shine, removing the patina. Some say they were originally highly polished, some say no... Some photographs from the era seem to favor the former, yet I think it looks out of place on an antique. I personally expect to see that beautiful brass patina. Real gold however, I don't know....

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I think that Victor did a “Gold Wash” without any sub plating. If the prep work is not highly polished, the plating will not be as bright as it would be if it had been highly polished.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Two cents worth about turn tables. Mine is gold color on around the side and I cannot tell what it is underneath. I just looked but old so can't tell. I'd have to shine it up to see if the bottom was gold color too. Or is it brass color? Neil