A fully restored VV-XVIII - perhaps worst job ever?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

A fully restored VV-XVIII - perhaps worst job ever?

Post by Jonsheff »

Found this on Craigslist, looks painted or left the stain on too long? The stain used not even close to under top color, replated wrong, etc. I love this model but hate to see this.
Screenshot_20190217-213424_CPlus for Craigslist.jpg
Screenshot_20190217-214139_CPlus for Craigslist.jpg
Screenshot_20190217-214248_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20190217-214417_CPlus for Craigslist.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: A fully restored VV-XVIII - perhaps worst job ever?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

At least someone was enjoying the machine and it still is in one piece, but why subject an historic phonograph to such a labor-intensive value reduction?

To add insult to injury, the "Restorer" left the original decals and under-lid finish intact...now who can explain away the difference between the beautiful interior and that embalmed outside finish?

The plating is beautiful but not at all period. I suspect that the instrument repair shop & a professional furniture man got together on this one and did what the Victrola "should" have looked like. As it is, it looks more like a 2010 design.

Jon--you mentioned wanting to try a little more period clear-coat on some of your restoration jobs. This one would be a worthy candidate--great phonograph when you get done. Honestly, period finishes are SO easy, and I think they are better suited to last 100 years more nowadays than they did back then...

And in the state it's in now, you could finish it with Kiwi shoe polish dissolved in crankcase oil and it'd turn out nicer than that mess. What did they varnish with--Thompson's Water Seal??

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

The main color looks like what people use to paint old wooden picnic tables.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

This is the finish you would expect to find on reproduction period furniture imported from China or India... it's hard to imagine what they did to end up this way AND harder still to think they thought it looked good enough to leave it...

This could/should be a beautiful machine... but it would take some work to reverse it.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Barf...… Tom

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

This is in NJ and has been for sale for a while... given the desecration and the price, $2250, there’s no question why. These people also have a $1600 VV-XVII “professionally restored” with “immaculate work done by the team at the Victor victrola web site,” whomever that may be. I emailed and asked them once but they never replied.

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

brianu wrote:This is in NJ and has been for sale for a while... given the desecration and the price, $2250, there’s no question why. These people also have a $1600 VV-XVII “professionally restored” with “immaculate work done by the team at the Victor victrola web site,” whomever that may be. I emailed and asked them once but they never replied.
http://www.victor-victrola.com/About%20Us.htm

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

mick_vt wrote:
brianu wrote:This is in NJ and has been for sale for a while... given the desecration and the price, $2250, there’s no question why. These people also have a $1600 VV-XVII “professionally restored” with “immaculate work done by the team at the Victor victrola web site,” whomever that may be. I emailed and asked them once but they never replied.
I don't know, but I don't believe that the muddy looking "restoration" shown was by the same people at the site referenced. Maybe someone knows the people at Victor-Victrola.com and could clear this up. Either way, that is a sad fate for a VV-XVIII. They show some of their restoration work on the site and it does not look like this.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

If Paul Edie and/or Bob Baumbach were responsible for that job, I'll eat that entire VV-XVIII.

George P.

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

Django wrote:
mick_vt wrote:
I don't know, but I don't believe that the muddy looking "restoration" shown was by the same people at the site referenced. Maybe someone knows the people at Victor-Victrola.com and could clear this up. Either way, that is a sad fate for a VV-XVIII. They show some of their restoration work on the site and it does not look like this.

I believe the claim was made of an XVII from the same seller, not of this machine... the one shown in the post about the shiny tone arm