To be a Home C or not a Home C plate

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Wes K
Victor I

Re: To be a Home C or not a Home C plate

Post by Wes K »

The machine that tomb has is a model D. It has the recess for the clutch casing that shifts from 2 to 4 minutes, and uses the wide clutch casing of a model D
If you compare with the Model C machine you will see it is made like a model B, and uses the narrow clutch casing to clear the edge of the casting.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Wes K wrote:The machine that tomb has is a model D. It has the recess for the clutch casing that shifts from 2 to 4 minutes, and uses the wide clutch casing of a model DIf you compare with the Model C machine you will see it is made like a model B, and uses the narrow clutch casing to clear the edge of the casting.
Interesting observation, Wes. I didn't notice that until you brought it up. Considering the clutch recess seen in the Edison Home casting that Tom posted it seems odd that there is stamped C in the casting numbers. As far as I'm aware all Edison model C phonographs were factory designed for 2 minute play and therefore it seems odd that it has the 2/4 clutch recess in the casting. I suppose it's possible that the casting started out life as a model D casting and was released and stamped as a model C. As you mentioned, my (pictured) Edison Home model C does not have the recess in the casting for the clutch. Thanks for pointing this out. It will be interesting to hear from others on this.

Doug

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Doug,
I think it's more likely that this started out as a model C and was converted to being a model D. If you look at that recess, it looks like it was machined rather than cast-in. The model C Home (unlike the Standard) was pretty short-lived. I'd guess that this sat around unsold until it was re-born as a model D. There are quite a few examples of Edison re-working unsold machines to move them out the door.

Regards,
Martin