To be a Home C or not a Home C plate

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tomb
Victor IV

To be a Home C or not a Home C plate

Post by tomb »

I acquired this from a friend with a trade. It as a home plate without an ID tag. From all the numbers on the top and bottom it seems to me a Home model C The serial numbers on the top and bottom match although the top numbers that were under the plate are harder to read due to the coatings and finish. I have highlighted one picture to show that. I believe I will leave it this way as I will never be able to locate the plate that goes with this and it seems to document itself. Here a few pictures to post your agreement or disagreement. I am open to comment. Tom
Attachments
This is the top section highlighted. Can be seen better when seeing actual item.   top pic follows
This is the top section highlighted. Can be seen better when seeing actual item. top pic follows
bottom
bottom
bottom
bottom
IMG_2291.JPG
IMG_2293.JPG
Picture of my gem to relax your  vision after squinting at the serial numbers.
Picture of my gem to relax your vision after squinting at the serial numbers.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Re: To be a Home C or not a Home C plate

Post by Mormon S »

Edison and/or victor ID plates pop up here and there, however the serial number wouldn't match and would most likely be inaccurate with the period of production. Others may have a different opinion, but I would leave it the way it is. I think it would look better if you clean it with McGuire's scratch x 2.0

Martin

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

I will agree that it is in fact a "C"

1: No endgate
2: Striping is earlier than a "D" which has the gold/blue striping
3: Base cabinet is the earlier type before the "D"

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

I have at least one Edison Home model D here (and stamped 'D' on the ID plate) with original gold bed plate striping (with tufts of grass in the corners) and the earlier Edison Home Model B and Model C cabinet. I purchased it from the original owner's family about 20 years ago. So, I don't believe that all Edison Home model D's had the blue/gold bed plate striping and later cabinet. I also have an Edison Home model C here but I have to dig it out of hiding. When I do I'll post a picture of the ID plate as a reference to the serial number you have on this one.

Doug

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

The cast "C" suffix in the bed plate would certainly argue in favor of this being a Model C Home. (Obviously it has had an Amberol Attachment added at some point.)

The first of the Model C and even D Homes and Standards retained the low base cabinets and earlier-style pinstriping/corner decorations. Keep in mind that Model C and Model D Standards/Homes were manufactured side-by-side for a few years so both can be found with early and late characteristics.

I'd agree to leave this example as it is.

George P.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Interesting. I think the serial number is 340213. That would put it pretty close to the highest number model C that I've seen (338709). I'm also pretty sure that there is another, fainter serial number above and to the left in the underside version. It looks like another number completely - maybe "2962..."? Maybe it was a partial incorrect punch? Anyway, it's soft of fun to contemplate what happened at the factory. Thanks for sharing, Tom!

Martin

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

If I could find an appropriate plate I would affix it but use a letter stamp to XXXX out the serial number, that way it will be clear that the number is/was incorrect, but the unit will be more complete... just my personal preference. Museum restorations of artifacts will often recreate missing parts in a way that it is obvious that they are not original, if they add to the understanding of the whole. In this case I think the plate sans original number would do that

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

I'll bet that plate is still out there - either on somebody's machine or in somebody's parts bin. They're small and easy to store (unlike bedplates). Keep checking ebay! ;)

Martin

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

FellowCollector wrote: I also have an Edison Home model C here but I have to dig it out of hiding. When I do I'll post a picture of the ID plate as a reference to the serial number you have on this one.
As promised, I dug out and blew the dust off my Edison Home model C. Mine was also updated with 2/4 minute gearing by the original owner. Finding a loose Edison Home model C ID plate will be a real challenge. I've only found a precious two Edison Home model C's (complete and original) in many years of diligent searching. This one here and one that I foolishly passed on almost 30 years ago. They're MUCH harder to find than the Edison Standard model C.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_4375.JPG
IMG_4374.JPG
IMG_4373.JPG

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Thanks for the comments and pictures. I was wondering about the striping in that it was a old style single stripe. It will remain as it is with no ID plate. I would be like hitting the lottery to find the correct one. It does play 2 minute cylinders now but it needs improvement. I will finish cleaning it up and improving the mechanical side.. The original shaft and mandrel had been ruined with vice grips and the replacement shaft is borderline. I used the original mandrel but it is a little loose on the new shaft. I will replace them and try to locate a better mandrel with the correct shaft and bearing. It takes a 11 ½ inch shaft which is a little off of the replacement I put on. I will try the yankee trader after I figure out everything I need. Tom