Triumph year and model

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Triumph year and model

Post by briankeith »

Can someone tell me the model and year of this Triumph? 36350 is the serial number.
Attachments
DDFFBFCB-98D5-4552-BA15-CD79CAA7D311.png

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Triumph year and model

Post by phonogfp »

That will be a Triumph Model A. I'm still working on precisely dating Triumphs by serial number, but this one can be reliably dated to mid-1904.

George P.

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

Thank you!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

You're welcome!

George P.

fourforty
Victor I

Post by fourforty »

Hi George,

My family has owned a Triumph Model A for over a century. This was first owned by my great grandparents, and is now in the care of my aunt. The serial number is 33784. To my reckoning the last time that it played was in 1967, shortly after my great grandfather passed away.

My theory on why it was kept by the original owners for so long was because it was a wedding gift to them. I cannot personally prove this, as my great grandparents were married on April 14, 1904. Based on your Triumph research, is it possible that this phonograph could have been sold new (or nearly new) in Cleveland, Ohio in early 1904? Any guess at dating our Edison machine would be appreciated.

Thank you,
David
SCF7815.jpg
SCF7815.jpg (201.44 KiB) Viewed 981 times
SCF7811.jpg
SCF7811.jpg (239.82 KiB) Viewed 981 times
SCF7810.jpg
SCF7810.jpg (160.76 KiB) Viewed 981 times

fourforty
Victor I

Post by fourforty »

To all concerned,
Here is George's kind reply to me.
Thanks, George!

"Hello David,

I'm working on a Triumph dating guide which will appear in an upcoming article in The Antique Phonograph, but for now I can offer you a bit of help.

Triumph No.33784 left the factory in very late 1903. It's quite possible that an expensive machine like a Triumph sat in the jobber's inventory for awhile, and once purchased by a dealer in Cleveland, it may well have sat there for awhile as well. A final sales date in April 1904 is certainly not out of the question.

How nice to have your grandparents' Triumph - regardless of the occasion on which it was received. A $50.00 phonograph in 1904 was certainly a significant outlay.

Best wishes,
George P"

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

You're very welcome, David. Sorry I missed your post last week!

George P.