Those two holes in the bottom of my Victrola XVI (series G)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Those two holes in the bottom of my Victrola XVI (series G)

Post by mick_vt »

There are two holes in the bottom of my XVI, visible in the record storage area. They are countersunk so that a round headed screw and washer would sit down in them nicely, and look about the size of the motor mounting bolts. I believe that these were used to secure something, probably using the motor bolts, when the unit was shipped in it's crate. My question is, were there originally a couple of wood plugs provided to fill these holes, like those provided to fill the holes in the back of the case (though perhaps not domed)?

Henry
Victor V

Re: Those two holes in the bottom of my Victrola XVI (series

Post by Henry »

On my XI-G there are four such holes (one near each corner of the bottom panel), with brass inserts threaded ¼"-20. I believe these were used for securing the turntable (by means of bolts and brackets?) for shipping. At least, that's the explanation I've read on this forum. Other members with more specific information, please come forward!

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

My instruction manual certainly says the turntable was secured underneath in the crate. It also tells the owner/assembler to put the two wooden plugs in the back of the unit, but I did not see any instruction abiout these more visible holes

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Keep in mind that once the included record albums were in place, the holes would no longer be visible.

George P.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

I believe the 4 metal threaded holes found in the bottom of all Victor Talking Machine Company’s floor model Victrolas and Electrolas (¼” for smaller machines and ⅜” for the larger) were used to secure the cabinet to the bottom of the crate at a height so the phonograph does not travel with any pressure on its legs or feet. Note that the locations of these metal threaded holes are always towards the corners and the distance between them varies depending on the demensions of the cabinet.

I have used those holes to secure all my large machines (Credenza size and bigger) to custom carts equipped with eye-hooks to strap down the cart to the floor in my Sprinter van. This method removes the need to put straps around the cabinet body of the machines to secure to my vehicle. I am a firm believer that using straps around the cabinet puts undue stress on all the 90 year old fragile glue joints. Whereas bolting the cabinet to the cart, then strapping the cart down resolves that abuse. I use the same method of bolting the machines down to pallets (or my custom pallet/cart) when shipping the ones I sell. In all cases I always place a layer of ½” thick sheet of rubber between the wood support that is bolted flush to the bottom of the cabinet. Additionally, that wood support is made at a height to raise the machine off its feet or in some cases, lightly off its feet which are also resting on thick rubber (as I do on the changer and largest valve-type machines).

See the link below for the particulars of my convertible pallet/cart design:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=37088