Reproducer Questions...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Reproducer Questions...

Post by Curt A »

I'm no expert on Edison reproducers, so I thought I would consult you experts... I found these in a box of stuff from an antique dealer who said he bought a dresser at an auction that had a bunch of phonograph stuff still in it.

So, here are my questions: (1) What type of reproducer is the one with an arm and no engraving? It looks like an early Standard Speaker, but it doesn't have a weight on it. (2) I have most of an N reproducer, minus the needle bar and stylus and two N tail weights. Which tail weight is correct for an Edison Standard Model E ? Also, what needle bar and stylus is necessary to complete it? Will an H needle bar and stylus work, or is the N a special bar and stylus?

Thanks for your help. I would like to get the N rebuilt as soon as I can...

Curt
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 4.34.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 4.34.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 4.33.26 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Stephen_Madara
Victor III
Personal Text: www.glassphonohorns.com

Re: Reproducer Questions...

Post by Stephen_Madara »

you can see where the N is Stamped over the H on the one tail.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

The earlier reproducer started life as a Standard Speaker in all probability. (I think all Recorders had stamping on the adjusting arm.) Obviously, someone has worked on it, replacing the original glass diaphragm with a later copper model, and substituting a different stylus bar for that of the Standard Speaker.

George P.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Thanks George, does the “N” require a special needle bar and stylus or will an “H” work?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Curt A wrote:Thanks George, does the “N” require a special needle bar and stylus or will an “H” work?
I believe the needle bar for the "H" is the same as the "N" but you might want to check Steve Medved's article in The Antique Phonograph to be sure.

George P.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The Model H stylus bar will fit a Model N reproducer, but the N did come with a proprietary stylus bar stamped N on the bottom surface in very small font. The original N bar is not something I would seek out for a complete restoration. It was very long and crooked on the end as a result of the grinding process at the Edison factory. Replacing styli in these bars is a chancy procedure for even an experienced repairman as the end tends to be too gangly to work with compared with the compact chunkiness of a Model H bar.

Mormon S can send you some pictures, I am sure; he has my Model N reproducer because he bought my Standard E the other week.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Looking at the early Automatic, I think it was an early recorder that was modified into a reproducer. The weight looks like that of a recorder. I don't know if the early recorders had a stamp on the arm or not. I never saw a small weight on an N reproducer Was this a small body like an H, K, or C. Was this the earlier N reproducer? I'm more familiar with the larger body and diaphragm, and tail weight. Also, I've seen the N with the bobbed weight.This one came on my Model E Standard. For the larger N, I think the stylus bar is larger than the one used for the C, H, and K, mainly because the body of these reproducers are smaller than the N.
Harvey Kravitz

Shawn
Victor IV
Personal Text: Its only Fun, when we're all having Fun!

Post by Shawn »

George is correct, as always is the case!

The early Edison started life as a Standard Speaker. Two tell tail marks confirm this.

First, the angle of the adjusting arm to the reproducer weight is 90 degrees. In a recorder, it is less than 90 degrees.
Bottom.png
Second, the top has the hole where the original locating pin from the early Standard Speaker was removed.
Top.png
Shawn
Subscribe to my music and phonograph videos at https://www.youtube.com/@Shawn_O_Phonograph

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Shawn wrote:George is correct, as always is the case!
Well, I'm glad my hunch was confirmed, but I'm certainly not infallible! :)

George P.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

The N reproducer came out in November of 1911. The first weight was the round weight followed by the trowel weight. Later on came the bent weight. There are four versions of the bent weight, over stamped H, Model N 4 Minute, Model N, and the large letter N.

Rich Gordon