Polly Portable improved sound with new horn

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
toydk
Victor O

Polly Portable improved sound with new horn

Post by toydk »

I recently received a new laminated horn from Curt A. The sound quality is dramatically improved compared to the green paper horn.

When I first got the phonograph I was really disappointed. But now I am enjoying a much more clear and resonant sound.

Thanks Curt!
Attachments
4FCB1F16-C8FA-404D-B03D-1858E3E3509E.jpeg
30898721-2B0B-4C5F-8297-0B1C91B352E0.jpeg
Last edited by toydk on Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Polly Portable improved sound with new horn

Post by Curt A »

Thanks for the kudos... glad you like it...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I got one of these for my Polly Portable a few years ago from Curt. They look and sound great. The price is right considering the hard work, and finesse that had to be done making these.
Harvey Kravitz

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I also got one of these horns for my Polly from CurtA.I do think they give a better sound than an original horn.My Polly came with the original which I stashed away in an acid free plastic sleeve.edisonplayer

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Curt makes some great reprints of the Instructions for the Polly Portable. They fit on the turntable just like the originals.

sallen42
Victor Jr

Post by sallen42 »

Curt A wrote:Thanks for the kudos... glad you like it...
Hello. I just won a Polly Portable from an auction site. Have not received it yet. Probably in about a week or 10 days. I don't know what condition the oscillator will be until I get it in my hands. My question is are you still making these? Thanks and have a great weekend.
:D

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

I have had a Polly Portable many years but did not know how it worked. About a year ago I was talking to George Epple and he showed me his Polly which inspired me to measured the angle of the cone of aluminum cone retainer. I made a homemade oscillator with the 10 thousandths inch thick folder paper. It sounded fine but I broke down and bought one just because it looks better. I did not have it delivered folded because I thought it would have a better sound quality due to the extra rigidity inherent in the perfect cone.
Allen

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

I'm back after an unwanted "vacation" from the Forum...

I'm still making Polly Portable and Brunswick Parisian oscillators (a type of horn) for those machines. They are printed and then laminated to make them more durable than the original all paper oscillators. The flexibility and the material gives your machine a new lease on life. I started making them when I got a Brunswick Parisian that was in good condition, but the thick paper original oscillator was deteriorated and sounded dull and lifeless... I wanted to be able to actually play the machine and not be worried about the paper self destructing (which it eventually did). Now I can play it with no worries and it sounds great. These are actually a type of diaphragm, as opposed to an actual acoustic horn/tonearm combo and the new material is like rebuilding an old worn out reproducer diaphragm which greatly improves the sound.

I also make the instruction discs, if your machine is missing its original one... and I can also make the aluminum discs that secure the oscillator to the tonearm/needle holder.

If you need any of these parts and want to get your machine back in playing order instead of just a display novelty, PM me or better yet, email me: curt.angstman@gmail.com
Cell: (704) 883-4551

I am attaching a sample of the Brunswick Parisian oscillator.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 1.16.32 AM.png

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

The oscillators can be folded to store in the lid, as shown in the first photos of this thread or they can be shipped unfolded so that they form a perfect circle for display. It's no problem to ship them either way...

Curt

My Wife