Holes in back of Monarch rigid arm phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
vansteem78
Victor II

Holes in back of Monarch rigid arm phonograph

Post by vansteem78 »

So did someone make these two holes when they upgraded from a Concert sound box to an Exhibition. This was my thought because when I bought a reproduction Concert the arm's height had to be changed. That is when I discovered the two holes. All for naught as the Concert reproduction sounded horrible and so had to put the Exhibition sound box back on. So do you think the holes were added by an owner years ago after purchase?
Attachments
monarch holes.JPG
monarch inside.JPG
monarch back too.JPG
monarch backside.jpg
monarch backside.jpg (53.34 KiB) Viewed 1079 times

vansteem78
Victor II

Re: Holes in back of Monarch rigid arm phonograph

Post by vansteem78 »

Wow no one has any thoughts on this? Amazing since most folks have opinions on almost everything. ha ha including me!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

There's an earlier thread on this topic, which you might find under the "Search" feature.

The upshot, as I recall, was that there are a number of rear-mount Victors from this era which have two sets of holes as yours does. These were in all likelihood done at the factory.

George P.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Thanks George.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I've wondered about the extra holes myself. The Concert sound box has a slightly smaller total diameter. Maybe the lower holes are for the Concert and the upper holes for the Exhibition. The tone arm on a rigid arm machine has a limit pin. If the needle does not reach the record maybe you should move the back bracket to the lower position.

Jerry B.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

zono13.JPG
Speaking of two holes. I was playing with and looking over my Zonophone and voila as my French teacher would have said. It too has two holes. I will attach a photo of the holes in the Zonophone