Crappophones in Movies

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Re: Crappophones in Movies

Post by Amberola 1-A »

Zeppy wrote:He was only in for one episode...but the new series has certainly upped the quality from the Tom Baker years...in more ways than one.
I'll have to check out the latter ones. I'm sure the props have improved over the years!

:clover:
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

I don't have a still, but the recently released The Curious Case of Benjamin Button prominently features a Crap-O-Phone in the earlier part of the film.
Adam

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Amberola 1-A wrote:
Zeppy wrote:He was only in for one episode...but the new series has certainly upped the quality from the Tom Baker years...in more ways than one.
I'll have to check out the latter ones. I'm sure the props have improved over the years!

Well, obviously not all the props. I posted an image from a Patrick Trougton (1968?) Doctor Who episode in the phonographs in movies, and they used an external horn HMV with a wooden horn...now they're using crappophones...so I guess we can confidently say that some of the props certainly have not improved over the years.

;)

VictorScroll
Victor Jr

Post by VictorScroll »

Zeppy wrote:
Amberola 1-A wrote:I wasn't aware that Sir Derek Jacobi played in the Dr Who series. (I'm still stuck in the Tom Baker era of Dr Who) I've always enjoyed his films and his Brother Cadfael Mysteries are a great watch.
He was only in for one episode...but the new series has certainly upped the quality from the Tom Baker years...in more ways than one.
Longtime Who fan myself. David Tennant is probably the best Doctor since Patrick Troughton IMHO. It will be very sad to see him go.

Is there any video out there of his "King Lear" with Patrick Stewart?

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

beaumonde wrote:I don't have a still, but the recently released The Curious Case of Benjamin Button prominently features a Crap-O-Phone in the earlier part of the film.

was that a doctor who episode?

... right, I know it wasn't - I remember the "machine" from that film. it's unfortunate just how many films, especially historical films or movies that otherwise strive for or hit a certain degree of authenticity either in the story or just the scenery, use this crap rather than a genuine phonograph.

although I did see terrence malick's (thin red line, new world) first film, days of heaven (I think it was richard gere's as well - along with a young sam shepard), over the weekend. in it are two genuine phonos, one disc (I think a victor - it appears in a few scenes), the other a cylinder player (a triumph).

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

On an episode of LOST this season there was a phonograph on the island and surprisingly NOT a crapophone- it was one of those swiss/german ones with the brightly painted horn.