Could use some advice

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Could use some advice

Post by Marty Bufalini »

First, someone tell me if this is in the wrong spot in the Forum.

Second, I've got a bunch -- 50 - 100 -- cylinders I want outta here. I cannot go to Union. I'm considering Ebay.

What's the best way to sell them? Individually? In random groupings of 3 or 4? As a complete package? What about pricing?

Thanks.

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Could use some advice

Post by PeterF »

It really depends upon what sort of cylinders they are. If they are run-of-the-mill selections and/or in not that great of shape, find a kid and donate them to him/her - you will make someone happy and just might help extend the life of our hobby.

If they are special in some way, or if you just prefer to cash in, then a good strategy is to group one good/desirable one with two not-so-hot ones and ebay them together. That clears them out faster.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

PM sent, Marty--I'm always digging for playable cylinders. Wax or celluloid?

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

I've been attending the Union show for many years. Most of the cylinders I've looked through over the past 10 years are "run of the mill" which have near zero interest or value such as Old Oaken Bucket, Trail of the Lonesome Pine, Silver Threads Among the Gold, Hawaiian dance tunes etc. (Big yawn here!)

Unless you have something interesting like patriotic numbers, marches, Xmas carols, famous people, etc., they won't be worth much.
Best regards ... AZ*

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

As for eBay, the shipping costs alone may exceed the value of a so-so cylinder, leaving no money left for the actual purchase. So, grouping is a better option, (though groping may be more fun). Consider advertising them here, in groups of 10 or 20, or maybe the whole lot, at an average asking price of $2 - $3 each for the bunch. A "grab bag" so-to-speak.

I must say, when I first read your subject line, and saw it was you, I was going to post "quit the hobby". But, I'll play nice... :P

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

Thanks for all the good advice.

The suggestions are pretty much what I was thinking anyway and you confirmed my thoughts, which is helpful.

Most are run of the mill. Some I will list seperately because they have more value.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Run of the mill can be fun too. I'm sure someone will be interested.

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

May I add one suggestion? If you are offering cylinders in group lots, include a list of titles in the text of the listing. It does not cost you any more, except in time. Even within the limited range available on two-minute cylinders, there is room for widely differing tastes: some people may enjoy military bands but be irritated by comic songs, for example, while others may have the opposite preference.

Oliver Mundy.

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

Oliver, thanks and I agree. I see some of these group cylinder listings with a ton of cylinders typed out and can't imagine how long that must take. But, folks do want to know the title. I always try and put myself in the buyers position when selling.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

You could always group them and include a photo of the top of the title rim.