VE 10-70 Changer Question & other Type-1 changer comparisons

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Re: VE 10-70 Changer Question & other Type-1 changer compari

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Though the VE 9-55 Electrola motor Wire Harness is no longer original, I feel safety and reliability is a a better route when you actually want to play your phonograph. Note wires are 16 gauge copper cloth covered in their original colors, connectors are marine grade, and the plug/socket have underwriter knots for safety.
Attachments
DC50B4F4-86A0-4097-BF70-A3B723803512.jpeg
C6F7245E-89CA-4F88-8300-ECAD8D06B1EC.jpeg
6DF68A13-B67A-4054-B2B1-3178B596724C.jpeg

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

Do you put a capacitor on the motors like they did on the later machines in the early 30's that used the same type of motor? I think I'm going to do that with the 10-70 as I think it will help with hum. I think it makes the motor run a little stronger as well. You sure keep yourself busy Wayne, that's for sure. UPS keeps me busy and I'm glad I only have two years left with that outfit. Haha! Earl.

electrolaman 64
Victor II
Personal Text: Look for the Dog

Post by electrolaman 64 »

Hi Earl,

You know I had not thought about the 1927 changers not having the 2mf "booster/starter" capacitors/condensers across them like the 1928 10-69,9=54, etc. had. Is that what you are talking about?

Well generally speaking that has nothing to do with a induction disk motor that is humming or buzzing. If your motor does that then one or both of the coils is/are loose on the frame. This can be a common problem with any induction disc motor. The way to fix that is a little wood or cardboard wedge somewhere between the coil and metal frame. Now if you have a little hum in the amp you think is motor related I am told a ground wire run between the motor frame and the amplifier frame is the remedy. But I have never seen the need.

Or am I not getting what you are suggesting? :roll:

Best regards,
Carlton
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Earl,

I do not. No hum, no problems.

-Wayne

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

electrolaman 64 wrote:Hi Earl,

You know I had not thought about the 1927 changers not having the 2mf "booster/starter" capacitors/condensers across them like the 1928 10-69,9=54, etc. had. Is that what you are talking about?

Well generally speaking that has nothing to do with a induction disk motor that is humming or buzzing. If your motor does that then one or both of the coils is/are loose on the frame. This can be a common problem with any induction disc motor. The way to fix that is a little wood or cardboard wedge somewhere between the coil and metal frame. Now if you have a little hum in the amp you think is motor related I am told a ground wire run between the motor frame and the amplifier frame is the remedy. But I have never seen the need.

Or am I not getting what you are suggesting? :roll:

Best regards,
Carlton
Carlton,
I thought there must have been some reason for them doing that on the later induction motors, but I really wasn't sure. My 10-70 does have a little bit of hum to it, but it's nothing excessive. I didn't know if it had anything to do with the motor. They also were making all kinds of improvements on that early electric phonographs and it seems like some of them are even kind of hard to find two that are exactly alike! So, since the later motors had that capacitor I figured it must have been an improvement in their minds and it might not be a bad idea to put one on the earlier machines. The RAE 26 I have will not run without the capacitor, but that's also a completely different motor. And running that ground wire to the amplifier frame does make a huge difference on the hum, that's for sure. Mine had some volume control issues and now that I have those sorted out, it really is a great sounding machine. Those potted volume controls can really be an aggravation. I could probably swap that thing out with my eyes closed! Anyway, thanks for your input. And good luck to Wayne with his. I have to say that the 10-70 is one machine that I would have never thought I would care to own, but it's one I play almost every day. Take care now, Earl.