Are all Victor reproducer diaphragm screws the same?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Are all Victor reproducer diaphragm screws the same?

Post by Victrolacollector »

I acquired a Victrola No. 4 brass reproducer. During the rebuild part of the head broke off of the diaphragm screw. I removed the screw with small pliers. Did Victor use the same size screw for Victor Exhibition, Victrola No. 2 and Victrola No. 4 reproducers?

phonojim
Victor IV

Re: Are all Victor reproducer diaphragm screws the same?

Post by phonojim »

I would guess that a screw from a #2 would fit a #4. There seems to be some similarities between the two designs. However, I believe an Exhibition uses a different thread than the # 2. Ron Sitko would know what you need.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

I learned the hard way that most of these differ... regarding the more common victor reproducers... early round-hole exhibitions use a different smaller diaphragm screw than the later ones, and those differ in size from those used on No. 2's, and those are all different from what's used on a No. 4. that said, ron sitko has it all and can help with pretty much anything.

VictrolaGuy - Walt
Victor Jr

Post by VictrolaGuy - Walt »

Victrolacollector wrote:I acquired a Victrola No. 4 brass reproducer. During the rebuild part of the head broke off of the diaphragm screw. I removed the screw with small pliers. Did Victor use the same size screw for Victor Exhibition, Victrola No. 2 and Victrola No. 4 reproducers?
Unless the threaded hole in the diaphragm has been modified or damaged they are [supposed to be] the same.

The Exhibition, No.2, No.4, No.4A, Improved Concert, etc. use the same diaphragm attachment screw. The screw used in the early Exhibition is the same as all other Exhibition soundboxes. (Just for kicks while I was looking through my spare No.4 needle arms I went ahead and tested all of the above soundbox needle arms and verified that they do indeed use the same screw. I even checked the fit in one of the most ancient Exhibitions made and the later screw fit perfectly.)

(Jerry, I told you I was afraid you might shear that thing off. Bummer. I suspect that the female threads in the hole of the needle arm are probably damaged. Therefore, a new screw will likely meet with the same fate. If you want me to send you a replacement needle arm for your No.4 with a screw installed just say the word and I will do so gratis.)

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

VictrolaGuy - Walt wrote:
Victrolacollector wrote:I acquired a Victrola No. 4 brass reproducer. During the rebuild part of the head broke off of the diaphragm screw. I removed the screw with small pliers. Did Victor use the same size screw for Victor Exhibition, Victrola No. 2 and Victrola No. 4 reproducers?
Unless the threaded hole in the diaphragm has been modified or damaged they are [supposed to be] the same.

The Exhibition, No.2, No.4, No.4A, Improved Concert, etc. use the same diaphragm attachment screw. The screw used in the early Exhibition is the same as all other Exhibition soundboxes. (Just for kicks while I was looking through my spare No.4 needle arms I went ahead and tested all of the above soundbox needle arms and verified that they do indeed use the same screw. I even checked the fit in one of the most ancient Exhibitions made and the later screw fit perfectly.)

(Jerry, I told you I was afraid you might shear that thing off. Bummer. I suspect that the female threads in the hole of the needle arm are probably damaged. Therefore, a new screw will likely meet with the same fate. If you want me to send you a replacement needle arm for your No.4 with a screw installed just say the word and I will do so gratis.)

I have great respect for your work but this just doesn’t seem correct. Perhaps senility is just setting in on my end.

VictrolaGuy - Walt
Victor Jr

Post by VictrolaGuy - Walt »

brianu wrote:
I have great respect for your work but this just doesn’t seem correct. Perhaps senility is just setting in on my end.

But the information is correct. The diaphragm screws are the same because history (not me) says that's the way it is. (You and others may be confusing diaphragm screw sizes and thumbscrew sizes which do vary among the aforementioned reproducers.)

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

VictrolaGuy - Walt wrote:
brianu wrote:

But the information is correct. The diaphragm screws are the same because history (not me) says that's the way it is. (You and others may be confusing diaphragm screw sizes and thumbscrew sizes which do vary among the aforementioned reproducers.)

you're correct about the confusion... I may have been thinking of the screw head's slot size. I've also dealt with too many reproducers that have suffered compromised needle bar threading (probably due to someone using the wrong screw, or over tightening). no matter.