Don't know what to make of this...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoFan
Victor V

Don't know what to make of this...

Post by OrthoFan »

The Victrola model VTA-800B
Equipped with a reproduction (pre-Orthophonic) Victrola style tonearm...
Capture.JPG
...and a rather flimsy looking portable Victrola style record storage compartment... :roll:
2Capture.JPG
and... it costs what you'd expect to pay for a good condition table or floor model REAL Victrola.
See -- https://www.bestbuy.com/site/victrola-b ... Id=6287495

If it's built like most of the Crosley Victrola models produced today, the turntable speed will be off by about 20%, the record will slow down and speed up randomly, and it will last about a year before something burns out. I'd guess the tonearm and faux sound-box are made out of chrome-colored plastic?

OrthoFan

Player-Tone
Victor II

Re: Don't know what to make of this...

Post by Player-Tone »

Even though it uses an electric cartridge to actually play the record, that big fake mechanical sound-box it's attached to looks like it would wreak havoc on any vinyl record. I wonder how much record pressure that thing has.

:coffee:
-Mike

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

The "bad execution of a worse idea" phrase fits nicely here.
-bill

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I hope when they engineered this record player they put in counter weights to offset the weight. It looks like it would play your record the first and only time you put it on. They must have taken this into account in the design otherwise they may be subject to some litigation on this. I am sure Jacoby and Meyers would help out Tom

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I’d buy it for the novelty. I’ll just play Ken Griffin organ solos on it. :twisted:

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

But it doesn't play cylinders , tapes or 8 tracks :(

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

"no expense spent"

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

AmberolaAndy wrote:I’d buy it for the novelty. I’ll just play Ken Griffin organ solos on it. :twisted:

Ken Griffin? Meh...but mess with Jesse Crawford at the Mighty Wurlitzer and we're going to have to take this outside! :twisted: :lol:

Back on topic, I don't see how people who have the slightest idea of a phonograph's mechanical workings could convince themselves that this...THING is a good idea to play vinyl on.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:I’d buy it for the novelty. I’ll just play Ken Griffin organ solos on it. :twisted:

Ken Griffin? Meh...but mess with Jesse Crawford at the Mighty Wurlitzer and we're going to have to take this outside! :twisted: :lol:
I prefer Collins H Driggs and his Novachord.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7gtptlyFLD4

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Player-Tone wrote:Even though it uses an electric cartridge to actually play the record, that big fake mechanical sound-box it's attached to looks like it would wreak havoc on any vinyl record. I wonder how much record pressure that thing has.

:coffee:
A ceramic cartridge, according to the owners manual, which is also lacking much of anything regarding real specs, like wow and flutter, etc. Tuantable drive system is belt, 33/45/78. Doesn't state what the tonearm tracking force is or if it's adjustable.

Probably safe to spin 78's on, if you have the right stylus.