"Off-Brand" Lecture, Unique Topic, Smithfield, VA 3.24.19

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

"Off-Brand" Lecture, Unique Topic, Smithfield, VA 3.24.19

Post by cjstoessner »

Greetings, I am just throwing this out there for any enthusiasts or historians in the Eastern VA or Northeastern NC area on the afternoon of Sunday, March 24, 2019.

I have been invited to be the guest speaker at the Isle of Wight County Museum. (see link) I will spend about 30 minutes discussing the history of the Granby Phonograph and its relation to the furniture retail business. About 75% of the "talk" will focus on the talking machine industry. My PowerPoint includes some pretty cool factory photos, advertisements, and insights into the whole "off-brand" concept of the late teens and early 1920's.

This may be a stretch, but if you or anybody you know wants to dive into an aspect of the talking machine industry that hasn't been well documented, the lecture might be kind of fun... I will have some books available for purchase, too.

https://www.historicisleofwight.com/cal ... vents.html
Christopher J. Stoessner
Enthusiast, Collector, Historian
Author of Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and the Granby Phonograph

Founder
James-Gail Co.
www.james-gail.com

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: "Off-Brand" Lecture, Unique Topic, Smithfield, VA 3.24.1

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

It sounds like a nice project. Hopefully you can get someone to record the presentation for future use by those who were not able to attend.

cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

Re: "Off-Brand" Lecture, Unique Topic, Smithfield, VA 3.24.1

Post by cjstoessner »

That is a great idea... I will look into it.