Question about a cabinet that matches my Tabletop VV-XI

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
mattrx
Victor IV

Question about a cabinet that matches my Tabletop VV-XI

Post by mattrx »

I picked up this cabinet yesterday. It came with a tabletop X on it, but the X did not fit properly due to the square corners. After checking, my tabletop XI fits perfectly. The cabinet needs work, obviously. The interior has been modified with shelves made from a packing crate. The trim on top is missing in various amounts in the curved corners. All of these things I can fix.

My question is this. Do any of you more seasoned/accomplished collectors out there have a good idea of the maker of the cabinet? There are no decals, there was once a needle cup holder on the right inner door at the top. There are 2 tacks in the left door that probably once held an index. There is a pull out record shelf on the upper left. Both doors are connected to a mechanism similar to the one on my Herzog-when one is opened, they both open together. I've looked through the five Fabrizio and Paul books that I own and haven't found a match. Internet searches haven't helped either.

As always, thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Attachments
2451EE80-2FD7-4866-B96B-142D95516F80.jpeg
DCF5C358-49A6-4396-98A9-1D511360BC91.jpeg
56E3B976-4F40-4B67-98D8-B5B3D3A4C7D7.jpeg
70341864-651B-4850-8796-9C485693170C.jpeg

emerson
Victor III

Re: Question about a cabinet that matches my Tabletop VV-XI

Post by emerson »

I had an oak side-door cabinet and the gentleman that purchased it said it was for a Victor XII, he got a good deal.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I don't know who made it, but I have one under my VV-XII and it is a good fit. I was fortunate enough to find one in very nice condition. Whoever made it, they made it well. Mine is solid and the doors still fit well.

VictrolaGuy - Walt
Victor Jr

Post by VictrolaGuy - Walt »

The record cabinet maker is Pooley (Furniture Company) who also manufactured Victrola cabinets for the table top VV-X, VV-XI, and others.

(The Pooley "flat top" VTLA is widely discussed while most of the other Pooley Victrola cabinets and matching record cabinets made for Victor are not as well known.)

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

VictrolaGuy - Walt wrote:The record cabinet maker is Pooley (Furniture Company) who also manufactured Victrola cabinets for the table top VV-X, VV-XI, and others.

(The Pooley "flat top" VTLA is widely discussed while most of the other Pooley Victrola cabinets and matching record cabinets made for Victor are not as well known.)
Thanks for the information.

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

[quote="VictrolaGuy - Walt"]The record cabinet maker is Pooley (Furniture Company) who also manufactured Victrola cabinets for the table top VV-X, VV-XI, and others.

(The Pooley "flat top" VTLA is widely discussed while most of the other Pooley Victrola cabinets and matching record cabinets made for Victor are not as well known.)[/quote

Walt, would this cabinet also fit a VV-XII, are those dimensions similar? I’m trying to determine if the cabinet was made for the VV-XI exclusively.

I’d like to have a needle cup holder made to fit this cabinet also. If anyone has pics of the correct one for a pattern, that would be appreciated.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I think the XII and XI had the same footprint. Jerry B.

VictrolaGuy - Walt
Victor Jr

Post by VictrolaGuy - Walt »

mattrx wrote: Walt, would this cabinet also fit a VV-XII, are those dimensions similar? I’m trying to determine if the cabinet was made for the VV-XI exclusively.

I’d like to have a needle cup holder made to fit this cabinet also. If anyone has pics of the correct one for a pattern, that would be appreciated.
I know that the table top XI and XII do have the same base dimensions. But whether that means that the Pooley record cabinet was actually intended for use with both, or if there where two unique record cabinets, each with its own particular ornamentation and embellishments, I do not know. (I would think it is the same for both, but someone else might be able to definitely confirm it.)

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Years ago I had an oak cabinet very much like the one Matt has featured in this thread. It had two doors, fancy feet, and was recessed where the Victrola sat. I was always puzzled by the fact that the finish was a green tinted oak. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Jerry B.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Turns out that mine is not the same, (single door and fancier feet).