Introducing The Best BCHK Diaphragm: The Kimble Sensitone

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
long_island_phono
Victor II

Re: Introducing The Best BCHK Diaphragm: The Kimble Sensiton

Post by long_island_phono »

Herman wrote:
long_island_phono wrote:I appreciate all of the interest. I have 4 diaphragms and linkages now ready. More than 4 people have voiced an interest in testing a diaphragm and I am happy to supply you all however I have run out of linkage eyelets, which I am salvaging from damaged original diaphragms. The 4 posters are in the clear but any others will have to send me a damaged diaphragm so I can use the eyelet for a Sensitone diaphragm.
Wayne sells the eyelets on Ebay for $4.99 plus shipping but since your diaphragms are reproductions why not make the eyelets yourself.

eBay item number: 382780242802
I appreciate the link. I’ve considered Walt’s eyelets and may use them in a pinch. The goal of this diaphgram exercise is to construct the best diaphragm possible using the simplest materials, and preferrably salvage parts that may be sitting around.

I am confused by your statement that these diaphragms are reproductions? I don’t believe there were any originals production diaphragms anything like the Sensitone.

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

long_island_phono wrote:
Herman wrote:
long_island_phono wrote:I appreciate all of the interest. I have 4 diaphragms and linkages now ready. More than 4 people have voiced an interest in testing a diaphragm and I am happy to supply you all however I have run out of linkage eyelets, which I am salvaging from damaged original diaphragms. The 4 posters are in the clear but any others will have to send me a damaged diaphragm so I can use the eyelet for a Sensitone diaphragm.
Wayne sells the eyelets on Ebay for $4.99 plus shipping but since your diaphragms are reproductions why not make the eyelets yourself.

eBay item number: 382780242802
I appreciate the link. I’ve considered Walt’s eyelets and may use them in a pinch. The goal of this diaphgram exercise is to construct the best diaphragm possible using the simplest materials, and preferrably salvage parts that may be sitting around.

I am confused by your statement that these diaphragms are reproductions? I don’t believe there were any originals production diaphragms anything like the Sensitone.
Sorry for the confusion. By reproduction I mean they are not the diaphragms from the Edison factory. Maybe re-manufactured would be a better term. No offense meant and I am all for improving on the brilliant Edison inventions.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

If you and Walt could work out a deal for the swivel eyelets then the K diaphragms would be a lot easier to make.

There is probably a bigger market than just me for a performance K diaphragm. A lot of Model K reproducers ended up on machines with performance horns: 32" MG and cygnet types. Getting the best from a good horn requires a potent diaphragm with lots of sensitivity and no metallic overtones--and the natural materials you're using look like a perfect fit.

I have tried both the TrueTone & the new diaphragm for the Amberola and both are amazing improvements. Anything to boost the sound on the early machines is a great idea!