Victor IV Restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Victor IV Restoration

Post by Jerry B. »

I recently purchased a Victor IV that I'll be restoring. I'm just curious, does anyone think it should be left "as is?" ;) I do respect all opinions.

Jerry Blais
Attachments
IMG_3279.JPG
IMG_3277.JPG
IMG_3278.JPG

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Re: Victor IV Restoration

Post by Uncle Vanya »

I think that you'll find that that case can be substantially improved without stripping and refinishing. I'd clean the case as it is with turpentine and a rough cotton cloth, allow it to dry, make up a solution of alcohol and a little Van Dyke Brown analine (add a little Negrosine if the original finish was very dark), and apply it evenly to the cabinet with a good varnish brush. Then French Polish. You'll have a fine restored original finish with only a few hours effort.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

I agree with Bob. This cabinet can be cleaned and restored(upgraded) without refinishing

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Agree with advice above. Less is more. Save as much of original finish as possible by reviving, not stripping. ;)
Best regards ... AZ*

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Jerry B. wrote:I recently purchased a Victor IV that I'll be restoring. I'm just curious, does anyone think it should be left "as is?" ;) I do respect all opinions.

Jerry Blais
Congratulations and good luck with the restoration, Jerry!

I know how much you appreciate the elegant Victor IV--as do I.
I treasure every day the IV I got from you :)

Steven

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

I'm sure that you will do a splendid job in this IV.

Let me know whether you have a IV available at some point. The items that you offer are always "just so", and I'll be looking for a IV. We're re-decorating our back parlor in the style of the 'Fifties, with Grecian and Rococo Revival furniture. A mahogany IV on a "hairy paw" Empire cabinet would be just the ticket for that room.

Now if I could only afford a Vernais Martin machine for the reception room, which is furnished in Gilt...

Well, we do what we can with what we have or can get. Need to find an appropriate gasolier for the room, too.
Attachments
IMG_20181117_122151168.jpg

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I've always loved that room! It just says "1851" all over with that built in book case and Greek revival columns!

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

My vote is for a good cleaning and not to strip the case.
Ken

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Wow I'm usually vocally lobbying for a good cleaning versus refinishing but it looks like there's almost nothing left of the finish, like it sat in intense sunlight for 50 years or so...

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Here are some more recent photos of the Victor IV. I ended up stripping the cabinet, filled the grain, stained with Constantine red mahogany. The finish coat will be Deft lacquer. I appreciate the suggestions to clean the cabinet and then French polish but the there was almost no original finish left on the cabinet to go that route.

Jerry Blais
Attachments
IMG_3305.JPG
IMG_3304.JPG
IMG_3303.JPG
IMG_3302.JPG