A 3-D printed Sound Box!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoFan
Victor V

A 3-D printed Sound Box!

Post by OrthoFan »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-UfqZc5rBA

I think this has potential, not for printing a complete sound box as the poster has done, but for replacement parts -- the shell, back plate; possibly even a diaphragm.

OrthoFan

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: A 3-D printed Sound Box!

Post by fran604g »

I like this idea! Why not the entire box, if it can be eventually perfected through experimentation. Think of the potential, especially from the point of significant weight reduction, and therefore saving record wear?

Just my $0.02.

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Hi Fran:

I agree, it would be great if someone could figure out how to 3-D print an entire sound box. From what I can tell in the video, though, the diaphragm is solidly part of the shell, and is not isolated or suspended in gaskets. This means that the vibrations of the needle bar are being transferred directly from the diaphragm to the shell, and possibly back to the needle/needle point, itself. This probably accounts for some of the shrill resonance I hear when I listen to the video with earphones, and crank up the volume slightly. This may lead to groove damage over time, despite the sound box's relatively low weight.

OrthoFan

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I would pay .02 to see a 3D printed Fran.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

PeterF wrote:I would pay .02 to see a 3D printed Fran.
Prolly be cheaper to just get this one stuffed in a few years. :lol:
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

I was going to make a run of fiber gears for the Heinemann motors. However, finding a perfect gear is a challenge. Instead of molding, it may be more easier to 3D print.

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

How about 3d printing replicas of pot metal parts? Ideally with a printer that prints using aluminum as that should have similar acoustic qualities to the pot metal. I was mainly thinking of reproducer parts (like in the Orthophonic or Victor #4) but maybe tone arms etc could be done as well

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Resolution and strength are still far short of machined, forged or cast parts. Models can be produced for casting. That is probably the best application for rapid prototyping. The process is not accurate enough for gears. Even if you could live with the inaccuracies, the strength and wear properties would make for a short service life.

pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

Post by pellicano1 »

Very cool that this was done. However no diaphragm movement for proper sound which you can easily hear. But wow still very cool!! Can he print me out a Credenza knob for my door? lol.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

Django wrote:Resolution and strength are still far short of machined, forged or cast parts. Models can be produced for casting. That is probably the best application for rapid prototyping. The process is not accurate enough for gears. Even if you could live with the inaccuracies, the strength and wear properties would make for a short service life.
That was not my experience with medical device grade metal printers, but yes it would be better . (cheaper) to produce a positive for a mold if you wanted several. If doing replacements for pot metal you might have a head start on the strength front :lol:

3D metal printing technology now produces metals as dense as casting or forging and can machine at tighter tolerances - it can also produce single piece parts that machining technology cannot. Reproducers and tone arm parts would be a walk in the park... Consumer grade machines, yea, not gonna be up to it
Last edited by mick_vt on Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.