The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with Identifying
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:13 pm 
Victor II
The Phonograph Stop
Hello all! I won a nice lot off eBay of needles, Victor tins, cups, etc. These 2 adapters were included. Any idea what they were used for? Sound enhancement? Thanks in advance! Also included a Hustylus lateral adapter with original booklet which I cant wait to come in!! I can play my Pathé' discs on my Vics! I would imagine I would be able to play Edisons maybe with a diamond stylus?

Attachments:
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg [ 80.3 KiB | Viewed 289 times ]
s-l1601.jpg
s-l1601.jpg [ 101.92 KiB | Viewed 289 times ]
s-l1602.jpg
s-l1602.jpg [ 390.56 KiB | Viewed 289 times ]
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Last edited by pellicano1 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Help with Identifying
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:17 pm 
Victor III
No clue about the first two.

I almost bid on that lot. I think that you did well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:22 pm 
Victor II
The Phonograph Stop
Django wrote:

Yes thanks! Forgot to add that in there about the Hustylus. But just wondering what the adapters were used for specifically.
Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:24 pm 
Victor II
The Phonograph Stop
Django wrote:

$90 incl shipping. The needles are nice! Wall-Kane 10 plays NOS. If the stylus is good on the Edison reproducer thats a bonus.
Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:16 pm 
Victor V
That "Hustylus" looks like it may be missing the sapphire but it could be the photo. Don't be too over excited about the sound from one, I have two that I bought sealed and one I've used now and then, it sounds okay, but not nearly as good as a Pathé machine with a normal sapphire sounds, also you need to alter the angle of the Victor reproducer when you use one of these, it can be tricky.

Wall Kane needles claimed 10-12 plays per needle, but try one side then check the tip and you'll see that they wear like any normal steel needle, this was just a sales gimmick, trust me, I've done plenty of testing with them. If I were you, I'd treat then like regular single play needles.

Nonetheless, it's always fun to get new and not often found stuff like this, it's one of the smaller niches in my collecting.

Sean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:20 pm 
Victor II
The Phonograph Stop
OrthoSean wrote:
That "Hustylus" looks like it may be missing the sapphire but it could be the photo. Don't be too over excited about the sound from one, I have two that I bought sealed and one I've used now and then, it sounds okay, but not nearly as good as a Pathé machine with a normal sapphire sounds, also you need to alter the angle of the Victor reproducer when you use one of these, it can be tricky.

Wall Kane needles claimed 10-12 plays per needle, but try one side then check the tip and you'll see that they wear like any normal steel needle, this was just a sales gimmick, trust me, I've done plenty of testing with them. If I were you, I'd treat then like regular single play needles.

Nonetheless, it's always fun to get new and not often found stuff like this, it's one of the smaller niches in my collecting.

Sean

Thanks Sean! Luckily I own a Pathé VII but love to experiment! I hear ya on the NOS Wall Kanes. Normally when I see NOS I just keep them with their packs as display, knowing they were more inclined to destroy your records! Plus modern steel needles are cheap enough.

Speaking of proper angle, here is a diagram from inside the booklet!

Attachments:
s-l16001.jpg
s-l16001.jpg [ 558.25 KiB | Viewed 259 times ]
Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:38 pm 
Victor VI
The second item pictured is the "Little One-Der".
Attachment:
The Little One-Der.JPG
The Little One-Der.JPG [ 747.65 KiB | Viewed 255 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:48 pm 
Victor V
pellicano1 wrote:
OrthoSean wrote:

Sean

Thanks Sean! Luckily I own a Pathé VII but love to experiment! I hear ya on the NOS Wall Kanes. Normally when I see NOS I just keep them with their packs as display, knowing they were more inclined to destroy your records! Plus modern steel needles are cheap enough.

I have a 3 drawer cabinet full of NOS steel, tungstones and other gimmicky things. I love the stuff. Most of it came from one place many years back after I happened to be talking with someone I used to work with about my hobby, I ended up getting connected with someone who's grandfather had owned a Victor dealership. I bought everything he had, among it were cases of Wall Kanes.....cases....I won't use them, but I do use the Victor steel needles. I'll never have to buy needles again :lol:

Sean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:24 pm 
Victor II
The Phonograph Stop
OrthoSean wrote:
pellicano1 wrote:
OrthoSean wrote:

Sean

I have a 3 drawer cabinet full of NOS steel, tungstones and other gimmicky things. I love the stuff. Most of it came from one place many years back after I happened to be talking with someone I used to work with about my hobby, I ended up getting connected with someone who's grandfather had owned a Victor dealership. I bought everything he had, among it were cases of Wall Kanes.....cases....I won't use them, but I do use the Victor steel needles. I'll never have to buy needles again :lol:

Sean

Love them too!! I found 25 gold tungs tone needles in a needle cup when I bought my Victor III. Inside the cabinet. They look NOS too!
Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:25 pm 
Victor II
The Phonograph Stop
gramophone78 wrote:
The second item pictured is the "Little One-Der".
Attachment:
The Little One-Der.JPG

Awesome thank you!! So I take it no matter which type of needle you insert its supposed to soften the sound?
Thomas A. Edison