Wanted: Opinion/Experience with USHIP. Other safe shippers?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marco
Victor II

Wanted: Opinion/Experience with USHIP. Other safe shippers?

Post by marco »

Hello!

This time I am not asking for a favor shipping an item unless someone is making a trip from Louisiana to Central Ohio and wants to make some money.

What I am asking for are peoples opinions and experiences with USHIP.COM and for any other suggestions for possible reputable shippers that I might use.

I need to get my Edisonic Beethoven that I purchased last November shipped home to me--Finally. It needs to be Shipped from Louisiana 70657 to Ohio 44662.

My normal shipper who I trust with everything--NAVL/Beltmann Group gave me a great quote; but for the first time they are unable to pick up the phonograph because they cannot get a semi tractor trailor back to the home where it is located for pickup.

I just put in a request for USHIP along with all conditions and special preferences. Already got one response from one trucking Co in Louisiana wanting to know my budget. Are they supposed to ask how much we are willing to pay or just quote me what they would charge?

Please share experiences and possible other safe,reputable trucking company information that you might have who would be able to ship and deliver it to safely and in one piece. You can post, PM or e-mail me with any constructive advice.

I am just not up to driving 1,200 miles each way to pick it up.

Thank you all once again for your time and kind advice!
Cheers!
Mark Roberts

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Wanted: Opinion/Experience with USHIP. Other safe shippe

Post by gramophone-georg »

Marco: Check with Wayne (Victrola Monkey) or Raphael.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

gramophone-georg wrote:Marco: Check with Wayne (Victrola Monkey) or Raphael.
Thanks, George!

Hoping that they will possibly read this on their own. If not--will track them down in a few days! Best! Mark

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

In fact, I was thinking of starting a discussion of the pros & cons of UShip, so this thread beat me to the punch,

Normally, I pack and ship anything that I sell. But a few years ago, when I sold off the huge Dr. Z collection, a few of the items were just too big for me to handle, such as a Mills Violano, a Johnson Band Organ, a carnival gypsy fortune teller, etc. So I asked my buyers to make the shipping arrangements, and several used UShip.

Quite frankly, I was rather horrified at first. The truckers who showed up, selected by my buyers, were what appeared to be semi-homeless hillbillies. Their “trucks” were sometimes no more than homemade trailers behind smoke-belching pickups. BUT, every delivery made it to their destination safely and on time. I suspect my buyers went with the low bidder in each case and consider that they were lucky rather than wise.

Since then, I have used UShip several times myself on merchandise inbound, when the sellers would not ship. These times, I selected the trucker myself from several bidders, and in each case went with the highest bidder. Yes, the highest, because they were responsive, had great feedbacks, and answered each question of mine quickly and directly. There is no sense saving $100 or $200 on a $25,000 item if the item ends up at your destination damaged or MIA. Each of my deliveries was on time on both ends and delivered without a scratch.

I think the key is to wait for several bids to come in, and ask questions. Make sure the trucker is not evasive with his answers. Get a picture of their truck or van. And make them bid, do not respond to “what is your budget” requests. They are selling a service and should name their price, period.

Another good point is that UShip holds the delivery charge in escrow until the delivery is made. This gives the truckers every incentive to perform properly.

So, in summary, I would recommend UShip, just use the service wisely.

Raphael

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I used UShip a few years ago to ship a few fragile machines cross-country. I was very impressed with the service I got. Two guys came to my house (dressed nicely) and proceeded to very meticulously document everything about the machines and horns, both on paper and in photos. That may have been a case of CYA, in case existing damage or wear was disputed later, but still I found that process to be very professional.

Everything went smoothly. They were delivered on time and were impeccably crated. No damage, no headaches, no hassle. Not cheap, but on expensive machines it was well worth it.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Mark,

Though Ohio is a direction I do occasionally go, Louisiana is way out of the way. Sorry I can’t help.

Btw, I’m glad some folks have good luck with uship. I only hired them once (only had one that responded to my request) and will never have them or anybody pack up and ship a machine for me. Uship put two machines I bought in Southern California face to face on a pallet with only one layer of cardboard between them. They placed plywood on 3 sides, leaving one side and the top open. The sides were flimsy at best. No other padding was used. After taking an extremely long time to get here, they arrived smashed together, very damaged, and the tops busted off. Originally the loose parts were boxed and were to be shipped with the machines but instead were lost and never found. They never would return my calls and the company did very little to help. After many attempts to resolve things I finally gave up and used the experience and loss as a valuable lesson. What followed was years of renting uhauls, trailer purchases, and then a Sprinter van purchase to amass my collection with not even the littlest damage. Now, after those greater than 400,000 miles (I kept detailed records), I wonder if the damage I avoided to the machines was worth the damage to my body... I say yes, I won’t live forever but I did my best so the machines can.
Last edited by Victrola-Monkey on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

It is something I have to say is different for everyone. UShip is grat but some of the shippers can be bad. (SO I have heard)
I have used them 4 times and only had one issue. A phono arrived without one back foot. An easy fix as it was a flat piece.

YOu CANT take the first offers. Scammy moving companies jump in with ridiculous rates. I always waited to find a person traveling my direction.
I paid $175.00 for a nice big console to NY from Illinois of somewhere close...

I think they are great...

I have had them ask my budget and I always reply, make an offer and you will find out... lol

:)
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

I, too have had great luck with uship. Be sure to check the ratings of each shipper. I usually go with the lowest bid with the highest rating (not necessarily the cheapest). Best of luck.
Mike Wohl

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Mark,

Not sure what you decided or if you have already made arrangements, but if you still need someone to provide door to door delivery, I can suggest someone. I bought a radio from him on ebay and picked it up at his house in northern Ohio. I had remembered seeing him prior to that at an auction a year earlier in the same area. I contacted him Sunday because I remembered he said that he does work for uship. I will forward the details and his contact information to your email and TMF private message you. I can’t vouch for his work but I can say he’s a nice guy and was very responsive to my inquiry about your needs. Perhaps he could provide you the means of checking out his feedback on uship.

Good luck,
-Wayne

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

Victrola-Monkey wrote:Mark,

Not sure what you decided or if you have already made arrangements, but if you still need someone to provide door to door delivery, I can suggest someone. I bought a radio from him on ebay and picked it up at his house in northern Ohio. I had remembered seeing him prior to that at an auction a year earlier in the same area. I contacted him Sunday because I remembered he said that he does work for uship. I will forward the details and his contact information to your email and TMF private message you. I can’t vouch for his work but I can say he’s a nice guy and was very responsive to my inquiry about your needs. Perhaps he could provide you the means of checking out his feedback on uship.

Good luck,
-Wayne
I wanted to give a special "SHOUT OUT" to my friend Wayne "Victrola Monkey" for all of his help steering me toward what I consider to be the best and safest shipper out of all of the other quotes I received.

I also wanted to thank everyone for their experiences and opinions on USHIP. Through your help I realize now that I need to concentrate on Feedback First and then Price and just be very selective if I ever use them again. Great group we have here! Best! Mark Roberts

Thanks Wayne! I weighed all of my options and the guy you referred to me sounds like the safest bet. Already agreed to terms and will provide him shipping info tomorrow.

Hopefully will have my machine undamaged by the beginning of next month.

God always provides a way!

Blessings! Mark Roberts