The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: A couple progress pics of my 1917 VV-XI
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:44 pm 
Offline
Victor II
I hate pot metal
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 10:15 pm
Posts: 398
Location: Where the pickin’s are slim
2 months ago I picked up a early 1917 model VV-XI for around $50. (I say $50 because I bought it in a lot with my Pathéphone 25 and Victrola Granada parts for $100) it was rough. But it was salvageable. So far I’ve cleaned the cabinet as best I could with Goop cleaner, added the missing caster, added the missing Governor weight and spring, replaced the bad governor drive gear, replaced the turntable felt, Added a new semi automatic break, and added a rebuilt exhibition soundbox. Sure it’s not perfect, and I don’t know Jack diddly squat about wood working or refinishing Beyond cleaning it with goop cleaner and Kramer’s Antique Improver. And I still need to clean the springs. But it’s better than it was 2 months ago. Special thanks to 85corvetteman for supplying me parts to make this possible.

Video of it in action:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qrJ9xVolua4


Attachments:
450E0AF7-5CC5-43C1-9D96-E525E1A884F6.jpeg
450E0AF7-5CC5-43C1-9D96-E525E1A884F6.jpeg [ 2 MiB | Viewed 355 times ]
DBA67010-30E5-4CFF-96E8-93B07624E574.jpeg
DBA67010-30E5-4CFF-96E8-93B07624E574.jpeg [ 1.98 MiB | Viewed 355 times ]
9D4927C8-2412-466C-BFA5-F1D72A5E81F9.jpeg
9D4927C8-2412-466C-BFA5-F1D72A5E81F9.jpeg [ 1.86 MiB | Viewed 355 times ]
A7EF3F0F-7185-4F99-B20B-C786DBD715BE.jpeg
A7EF3F0F-7185-4F99-B20B-C786DBD715BE.jpeg [ 1.82 MiB | Viewed 355 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A couple progress pics of my 1917 VV-XI
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:49 am 
Offline
Victor Jr
User avatar
Vic II, Vic III, Schoolhouse, VV 8-4, VV-130, VV-280, VE-XVI, VV-VIII, VV-IV, VV-VI, Credenza
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:33 pm
Posts: 34
Location: Rocket City, AL
Great progress Andy !!!
I’m always glad to see or hear about young guys like you keeping the interest in old machines alive.
Glad I was able to give you the parts you needed so that it plays once again..

Take care,
Terry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A couple progress pics of my 1917 VV-XI
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:21 am 
Offline
Victor II
I hate pot metal
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 10:15 pm
Posts: 398
Location: Where the pickin’s are slim
85corvetteman wrote:
Great progress Andy !!!
I’m always glad to see or hear about young guys like you keeping the interest in old machines alive.
Glad I was able to give you the parts you needed so that it plays once again..

Take care,
Terry

That’s right! A 102 year old piece of history saved! It maybe the most common type of Victrola out there but to me it’s music history. it made someone happy in 1917 and it’s making me happy in 2019! Especially after decades of inactivity. I often wonder how long a machine has been inoperable before I make them work again. Probably decades longer than I’ve been alive. :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A couple progress pics of my 1917 VV-XI
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:09 pm 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:01 pm
Posts: 2182
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Nice! My XI is serial 370***G, just slightly later (i.e., younger) than yours. It's a great machine. You'll have a lot of fun playing with it, as I have now for almost 40 years since I bought it in 1980. Congratulations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A couple progress pics of my 1917 VV-XI
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:47 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
The Phonograph Stop
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:59 pm
Posts: 298
Location: Southern New Jersey
Henry wrote:
Nice! My XI is serial 370***G, just slightly later (i.e., younger) than yours. It's a great machine. You'll have a lot of fun playing with it, as I have now for almost 40 years since I bought it in 1980. Congratulations!

Great work! I love hearing stories about saving our beloved phonos!! I was given a VV-XIa oak cabinet from my cousin. Cant wait to start my journey in finding all the parts to get her singing again!!


Attachments:
IMG_20190218_134323857.jpg
IMG_20190218_134323857.jpg [ 2.47 MiB | Viewed 221 times ]
IMG_20190218_134307639.jpg
IMG_20190218_134307639.jpg [ 2.66 MiB | Viewed 221 times ]
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A couple progress pics of my 1917 VV-XI
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:08 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:31 pm
Posts: 827
Location: New Hampshire’s West Coast
The VV-XI is a real bargain these days if you want an attractive and nostalgic machine that plays well and has good storage without taking up a lot of room. Thanks for sharing.

If anyone is looking for a VV-XI in Americal Walnut, there is one on ebay, not mine, (local pick-up in Illinois).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Victor ... Sw~TNcM6Ys


Attachments:
XI.jpg
XI.jpg [ 204.08 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A couple progress pics of my 1917 VV-XI
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:27 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:39 am
Posts: 1032
Location: South Carolina
Love it, guys! Andy, those restorations are always real confidence boosters. It's good to know one has accomplished something.

The XI, I agree, is a very good bargain machine. If I didn't have an XIV Victrola I would probably have either an X or an XI. The tiny cabinets always were nice-looking--almost like Victor's foray into the market commanded by off-brands.

They do have more functional shelves, too. My XIV has a gaping spot for 10" albums but proves nearly useless as I don't have many storage albums. Also, my huge stash of 12" records won't fit. So while the XI has an inferior horn it has a far superior cabinet--lots of storage in a tiny space.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A couple progress pics of my 1917 VV-XI
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:27 pm 
Offline
Victor II
I hate pot metal
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 10:15 pm
Posts: 398
Location: Where the pickin’s are slim
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:
Love it, guys! Andy, those restorations are always real confidence boosters. It's good to know one has accomplished something.

The XI, I agree, is a very good bargain machine. If I didn't have an XIV Victrola I would probably have either an X or an XI. The tiny cabinets always were nice-looking--almost like Victor's foray into the market commanded by off-brands.

They do have more functional shelves, too. My XIV has a gaping spot for 10" albums but proves nearly useless as I don't have many storage albums. Also, my huge stash of 12" records won't fit. So while the XI has an inferior horn it has a far superior cabinet--lots of storage in a tiny space.



My VV-111 is my big main Victrola, but that doesn’t mean I cannot enjoy the smaller machines. They are still just about a part of that history as the larger machines. These were your “average joe” machines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A couple progress pics of my 1917 VV-XI
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:43 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:31 pm
Posts: 827
Location: New Hampshire’s West Coast
AmberolaAndy wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:
Love it, guys! Andy, those restorations are always real confidence boosters. It's good to know one has accomplished something.

The XI, I agree, is a very good bargain machine. If I didn't have an XIV Victrola I would probably have either an X or an XI. The tiny cabinets always were nice-looking--almost like Victor's foray into the market commanded by off-brands.

They do have more functional shelves, too. My XIV has a gaping spot for 10" albums but proves nearly useless as I don't have many storage albums. Also, my huge stash of 12" records won't fit. So while the XI has an inferior horn it has a far superior cabinet--lots of storage in a tiny space.



My VV-111 is my big main Victrola, but that doesn’t mean I cannot enjoy the smaller machines. They are still just about a part of that history as the larger machines. These were your “average joe” machines.


I think that "average Joe" still had to think long and hard before buying a VV-XI. These were still a major purchase back then. Tabletop machines, especially lidless were probably more often the average Joe machine, (maybe lower levels of the Silvertone or Montgomery Ward machines would have fit that category as well). Then you had the client machines for those that didn't want to shell out for the name brands.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A couple progress pics of my 1917 VV-XI
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:16 pm 
Offline
Victor II
I hate pot metal
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 10:15 pm
Posts: 398
Location: Where the pickin’s are slim
Django wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:
Love it, guys! Andy, those restorations are always real confidence boosters. It's good to know one has accomplished something.

The XI, I agree, is a very good bargain machine. If I didn't have an XIV Victrola I would probably have either an X or an XI. The tiny cabinets always were nice-looking--almost like Victor's foray into the market commanded by off-brands.

They do have more functional shelves, too. My XIV has a gaping spot for 10" albums but proves nearly useless as I don't have many storage albums. Also, my huge stash of 12" records won't fit. So while the XI has an inferior horn it has a far superior cabinet--lots of storage in a tiny space.



My VV-111 is my big main Victrola, but that doesn’t mean I cannot enjoy the smaller machines. They are still just about a part of that history as the larger machines. These were your “average joe” machines.


I think that "average Joe" still had to think long and hard before buying a VV-XI. These were still a major purchase back then. Tabletop machines, especially lidless were probably more often the average Joe machine, (maybe lower levels of the Silvertone or Montgomery Ward machines would have fit that category as well). Then you had the client machines for those that didn't want to shell out for the name brands.


So the nickel plated floor models would be the more “middle class family” machine. While the gold plated machines more likely belonged to doctors, lawyers and business owners.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CarlosV, fran604g, Google [Bot], todor_hristov85 and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.