A couple progress pics of my 1917 VV-XI

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

A couple progress pics of my 1917 VV-XI

Post by AmberolaAndy »

2 months ago I picked up a early 1917 model VV-XI for around $50. (I say $50 because I bought it in a lot with my Pathéphone 25 and Victrola Granada parts for $100) it was rough. But it was salvageable. So far I’ve cleaned the cabinet as best I could with Goop cleaner, added the missing caster, added the missing Governor weight and spring, replaced the bad governor drive gear, replaced the turntable felt, Added a new semi automatic break, and added a rebuilt exhibition soundbox. Sure it’s not perfect, and I don’t know Jack diddly squat about wood working or refinishing Beyond cleaning it with goop cleaner and Kramer’s Antique Improver. And I still need to clean the springs. But it’s better than it was 2 months ago. Special thanks to 85corvetteman for supplying me parts to make this possible.

Video of it in action:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qrJ9xVolua4
Attachments
450E0AF7-5CC5-43C1-9D96-E525E1A884F6.jpeg
DBA67010-30E5-4CFF-96E8-93B07624E574.jpeg
9D4927C8-2412-466C-BFA5-F1D72A5E81F9.jpeg
A7EF3F0F-7185-4F99-B20B-C786DBD715BE.jpeg

85corvetteman
Victor O
Personal Text: Vic II, Vic III, Schoolhouse, VV 8-4, VV-130, VV-280, VE-XVI, VV-VIII, VV-IV, VV-VI, Credenza

Re: A couple progress pics of my 1917 VV-XI

Post by 85corvetteman »

Great progress Andy !!!
I’m always glad to see or hear about young guys like you keeping the interest in old machines alive.
Glad I was able to give you the parts you needed so that it plays once again..

Take care,
Terry

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

85corvetteman wrote:Great progress Andy !!!
I’m always glad to see or hear about young guys like you keeping the interest in old machines alive.
Glad I was able to give you the parts you needed so that it plays once again..

Take care,
Terry
That’s right! A 102 year old piece of history saved! It maybe the most common type of Victrola out there but to me it’s music history. it made someone happy in 1917 and it’s making me happy in 2019! Especially after decades of inactivity. I often wonder how long a machine has been inoperable before I make them work again. Probably decades longer than I’ve been alive. :shock:

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Nice! My XI is serial 370***G, just slightly later (i.e., younger) than yours. It's a great machine. You'll have a lot of fun playing with it, as I have now for almost 40 years since I bought it in 1980. Congratulations!

pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

Post by pellicano1 »

Henry wrote:Nice! My XI is serial 370***G, just slightly later (i.e., younger) than yours. It's a great machine. You'll have a lot of fun playing with it, as I have now for almost 40 years since I bought it in 1980. Congratulations!
Great work! I love hearing stories about saving our beloved phonos!! I was given a VV-XIa oak cabinet from my cousin. Cant wait to start my journey in finding all the parts to get her singing again!!
Attachments
IMG_20190218_134323857.jpg
IMG_20190218_134307639.jpg
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

The VV-XI is a real bargain these days if you want an attractive and nostalgic machine that plays well and has good storage without taking up a lot of room. Thanks for sharing.

If anyone is looking for a VV-XI in Americal Walnut, there is one on ebay, not mine, (local pick-up in Illinois).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Victor ... Sw~TNcM6Ys
Attachments
XI.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Love it, guys! Andy, those restorations are always real confidence boosters. It's good to know one has accomplished something.

The XI, I agree, is a very good bargain machine. If I didn't have an XIV Victrola I would probably have either an X or an XI. The tiny cabinets always were nice-looking--almost like Victor's foray into the market commanded by off-brands.

They do have more functional shelves, too. My XIV has a gaping spot for 10" albums but proves nearly useless as I don't have many storage albums. Also, my huge stash of 12" records won't fit. So while the XI has an inferior horn it has a far superior cabinet--lots of storage in a tiny space.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Love it, guys! Andy, those restorations are always real confidence boosters. It's good to know one has accomplished something.

The XI, I agree, is a very good bargain machine. If I didn't have an XIV Victrola I would probably have either an X or an XI. The tiny cabinets always were nice-looking--almost like Victor's foray into the market commanded by off-brands.

They do have more functional shelves, too. My XIV has a gaping spot for 10" albums but proves nearly useless as I don't have many storage albums. Also, my huge stash of 12" records won't fit. So while the XI has an inferior horn it has a far superior cabinet--lots of storage in a tiny space.

My VV-111 is my big main Victrola, but that doesn’t mean I cannot enjoy the smaller machines. They are still just about a part of that history as the larger machines. These were your “average joe” machines.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Love it, guys! Andy, those restorations are always real confidence boosters. It's good to know one has accomplished something.

My VV-111 is my big main Victrola, but that doesn’t mean I cannot enjoy the smaller machines. They are still just about a part of that history as the larger machines. These were your “average joe” machines.
I think that "average Joe" still had to think long and hard before buying a VV-XI. These were still a major purchase back then. Tabletop machines, especially lidless were probably more often the average Joe machine, (maybe lower levels of the Silvertone or Montgomery Ward machines would have fit that category as well). Then you had the client machines for those that didn't want to shell out for the name brands.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Django wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:

I think that "average Joe" still had to think long and hard before buying a VV-XI. These were still a major purchase back then. Tabletop machines, especially lidless were probably more often the average Joe machine, (maybe lower levels of the Silvertone or Montgomery Ward machines would have fit that category as well). Then you had the client machines for those that didn't want to shell out for the name brands.
So the nickel plated floor models would be the more “middle class family” machine. While the gold plated machines more likely belonged to doctors, lawyers and business owners.