Ultrasonic cleaning of phono motors

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SydneyAde
Victor I

Ultrasonic cleaning of phono motors

Post by SydneyAde »

Hi folks

I'm seeking advice about the cleaning of phono motors, lets say a complete Gem motor
or a small Columbia motor such as an AH front mount motor with an ultrasonic cleaner.

Would ultrasonic cleaning (or cleaning fluid) cause any damage to any part of the motor including bearings
if I plonked the complete motor into the bath?

Also what is a recommended cleaning fluid? The yet un-purchased Skymen ultrasonic cleaner
has a thermostatic heater (30C to 110C). If the cleaning fluid was flamable, I'd naturally
have the heater switched off.

Your assistance is appreciated as always

Ade :)

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: Ultrasonic cleaning of phono motors

Post by AZ* »

While I have not used my ultrasonic machine for phono motors, I have had good success using it for carburetor parts and airbrushes. I would recommend disasembling the motor and cleaning off the major gunk before "plonking" it in the cleaner.

I would use a cleaning fluid recommended by the ultrasonic cleaner manufacturer. I used warm water and dish detergent for carburetor and airbrush. But keep in mind I also plonked the carburetor parts in Berryman's first.

Check out Apsco's phono service page. They claim to use ultrasonic cleaning for phono motors.

http://www.antiquephono.com/motor.htm#motor_spot
Best regards ... AZ*

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

Ade

I have been using an ultrasonic cleaner for that last couple of years with great success. I like to disassemble the motors and top works first to get at all of the years of gunk but recently I was a little rushed and dropped in a complete Edison motor and it came out like new (this one was not that bad to start though).
I use a de greaser recommended by the ultrasonic cleaner manufacturer and warm the bath as both these speed the removal of grease, grime and dirt.
I also use this method on nickel plated parts and they come out amazing. 100 % with a little polish and wax after they are dry.
The ultrasonic cleaner is also very good at removing rust from screws and parts, but not 100 %, so these to have to be polished later.

Some things to consider if using an ultrasonic cleaner.
- Like AZ stated manually remove the heavier grease and build up first
- It will remove paint and decals so avoid or be very careful with these parts
- If the nickel plating is flaking off do not use the ultrasonic cleaner as it will finish the flaking process for you
- rinse off the cleaner after removing your parts
- use a hair dryer or heat gun to dry all cleaned parts or they will rust very fast
- re lubricate with a light oil such as sewing machine oil
- I use a small kitchen screener to hold the small parts such as screws etc when cleaning
- The felt governour brake pads usually survive the cleaning but leather brake pads do not.

As for possible damage to metal parts, such as bearings, I have never experienced any damage except what I have mentioned above.

Bruce

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

I use my US cleaner all the time. You need to take the motor all apart. The critical areas that need to be cleaned are the pivots and the US will not clean those properly without taking it apart. I also work on clocks and many beginners feel the US is a short cut and try to clean a whole movement without disassembly. It is not. Used correctly, the US is a great tool, done wrong and it will not be good.
Dave D

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I like ultrasonics to clean antique fountain pens with.

With phonographs, I would be worried about getting the fiber gears in the cleaners.

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:I like ultrasonics to clean antique fountain pens with.

With phonographs, I would be worried about getting the fiber gears in the cleaners.
That's a good point. I never get them wet. I use a toothbrush and some GOOP to clean them.
Dave

SydneyAde
Victor I

Post by SydneyAde »

AZ, Bruce, Dave D & VanEpsFan

Thank you all for your kind, thoughtful and detailed information
that will assist me greatly.

Much appreciated.
Ade :D