Never Saw A Mainspring Like This

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dave D
Victor IV

Never Saw A Mainspring Like This

Post by Dave D »

I am working on a Columbia BF that has been in the owner's family since new. I have a BF with what I call "normal" Columbia mainsprings. This one is bent on both ends and sticks out through the spring barrel. The inner coil is bent too and has an arbor with a slit in it. What an easy motor to put back together, no reshaping of the inner coils!

Attached is a photo. How common is this on Columbia motors? I have seen plenty of them, but never saw this before.
Dave D
Attachments
IMG_1815.JPG

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Re: Never Saw A Mainspring Like This

Post by Victrolacollector »

Dave D wrote:I am working on a Columbia BF that has been in the owner's family since new. I have a BF with what I call "normal" Columbia mainsprings. This one is bent on both ends and sticks out through the spring barrel. The inner coil is bent too and has an arbor with a slit in it. What an easy motor to put back together, no reshaping of the inner coils!

Attached is a photo. How common is this on Columbia motors? I have seen plenty of them, but never saw this before.
Dave D
I have never seen that before either. I have heard of people in the past welding springs to the barrels.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

This is a legitimate Columbia spring set up.... a bent end spring that protrudes through a slot in the barrel. A while back there was a forum member looking for some of those barrels. He helped educate me on their existence. Perhaps he'll see this post and chime in. I don't recall who it was.

Brad Abell

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

I never doubted that it left the factory that way. If only one spring barrel looked like that I would have suspected it was repair, but since all four were that way, I figured it was legit.
I wonder why they quit doing this?
Dave