The Luck of the Irish, Only Im Italian!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

The Luck of the Irish, Only Im Italian!

Post by pellicano1 »

Ive been so lucky lately! For nearly 2 years I had no luck finding phonographs at a reasonable price (reasonable 2019 prices). VV-XIV for $400, VV-IV for $300. You get the point. All high! First, a few weeks ago, I acquired my Victor III for $125. And now this, a VV 8-4 for $100. Picking her up Saturday! Cant wait! It belonged to the gentleman's Serbian grandmother who bought it new. So a bunch of foreign records are coming with! From the pics it looks in great condition but wont know exactly til I get there. But for that price I wont mind doing some restorations if need be!

Thanks everyone for reading and keep on spinning!!
Attachments
0e9f6bf02a7bf857e916a145d62306ae.jpeg
dc371e7bc15fbc6d6e6e6713f8291cs25.jpeg
f01ae0269fb3fcd523ff67adf51d6c99.jpeg
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: The Luck of the Irish, Only Im Italian!

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Great job!

An XIV at $400 I can almost understand if it were in mint condition. A VV-IV at $300 is only acceptable when it comes with a warranty from one of the top restoration shops!

But having both a Victor III and a new 8-4 ought to make you feel pretty good! Now you have excellent players for both acoustic and electric discs. Have Wyatt rebuild the soundbox--trust me. You will like the sound you're getting, but when he finishes, it will wear records less and sound twice as amazing.

I wish I had space for a big Orthophonic victrola. Spin a few scrolls for us fellows who ran out of room!

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Great job!

An XIV at $400 I can almost understand if it were in mint condition. A VV-IV at $300 is only acceptable when it comes with a warranty from one of the top restoration shops!

But having both a Victor III and a new 8-4 ought to make you feel pretty good! Now you have excellent players for both acoustic and electric discs. Have Wyatt rebuild the soundbox--trust me. You will like the sound you're getting, but when he finishes, it will wear records less and sound twice as amazing.

I wish I had space for a big Orthophonic victrola. Spin a few scrolls for us fellows who ran out of room!
Thanks! I have a Credenza but the rest of my players are acoustic phonos. Wyatt is great but I do all my own work. Thanks for the message!
Thomas A. Edison

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

Here she is complete!
https://youtu.be/Kim03WCoPSU
Attachments
Newpics (6).jpg
Newpics (7).jpg
Ortho.jpg
Thomas A. Edison

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Some guys have all the luck... Congrats on the great find pelican! The lid dampers/dash pots needs some adjustment , but if that's all that's wrong it was a super score.

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

travisgreyfox wrote:Some guys have all the luck... Congrats on the great find pelican! The lid dampers/dash pots needs some adjustment , but if that's all that's wrong it was a super score.
Thanks buddy! Has a tiny opening on the left side when lid is closed. I was able to fix the slamming issue so I can set it at any height and it stays. My cast iron Nipper keeps it all the way down for now. I tried the tip sheet and couldnt get it.
Thomas A. Edison

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

What a great business! I'm green with envy... Enjoy them as much as possible, oh you lucky guy!
Inigo