Columbia BII: reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Hyperion
Victor O

Columbia BII: reproducer

Post by Hyperion »

A while back I posted here about a Columbia BII I found in a barn and was planning to restore. (http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=33697) I've since restored the cabinet and the horn, and am now dealing with the back bracket, elbow, tone arm and reproducer. I have questions about the other parts that I have posted separately, but these are about the reproducer.

My original question about this machine was whether or not this reproducer was original to it; I found it in a barn, where it had sat for many decades, so I thought it had to be, but it didn't look right. I have since been told by several people here that it was original and correct, and as you can see in the second photo the metal back flange is stamped Columbia, but I cannot find anything out about this reproducer. There is no mention or photo of one in Baumbach's Columbia Phonograph Companion, and I can't find any pictures of one on the internet, either. Does anyone know what model reproducer this is? Was it a standard option, an upgrade, a cheaper option, whatever? Has anyone ever heard one? If so, how do they sound?

Also:

1. If someone has a photo of one in restored or really good original condition, I would love to see it!

2. Are the diaphragms for this hard to find? Does mine look like it needs to be replaced?

3. If so, can anyone recommend where I can find a replacement, and maybe someone to do the rebuild?

4. As is the case with the other parts (http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=39964), the original plating on this reproducer has not aged well. Was it nickel plated originally? If I were going to get this replated, would that best be done before doing the rest of the rebuild/restoration?

Thanks!
Attachments
BII reproducer front.jpg
BII reproducer back.jpg

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Columbia BII: reproducer

Post by OrthoFan »

That looks to be the Columbia Grand Reproducer, as shown on this page in good conidtion -- http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=35252

The one you have is missing its face-plate or whatever its called.

OrthoFan

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Nice barn find Hyperion!

My 1911 Columbia Favorite (earliest style with two doors covering the horn --- not louvers as found on later models) came with the same reproducer and corresponding, aluminum, pleated diaphragm. My reproducer has not been restored, and unfortunately the needlebar thumbscrew is broken off in the hole. Incidentally, a friend nearby has a late Columbia BII with the same reproducer. Neither of our reproducers have a "face plate" covering the diaphragm, nor do I know if they ever did originally. Note, the doughnut-shaped plate on the back of my reproducer in loose.

Hope the additional pics below help!
Bob
Attachments
DSCN1306.JPG
DSCN1307.JPG
DSCN1309.JPG

Hyperion
Victor O

Post by Hyperion »

Thanks, Bob! Too bad about your needlebar thumbscrew -- otherwise, your reproducer is in great condition! The donut-shaped plate on the back of mine is loose, too. I wonder if they came that way?

Interestingly, I had an early Favorite years ago and it came with a Concert Grand reproducer, the first I had ever seen. The diaphragm in the one referenced in the post before yours looks entirely different, which makes me think they are not the same.

After I saw your post, I did another search and found this one which recently sold on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Phonog ... 7675.l2557

Now we know of four examples, which makes me wonder if this model ever had a faceplate? Also, the one on Ebay, which is missing the felt pad in the back that yours and mine have, clearly shows "No. 7" engraved in it, which makes me think this was a Columbia No. 7 soundbox, though I know nothing at all about that particular reproducer (if, indeed, that was its designation). If someone out there does, please let me know -- this is getting curioser and curioser!

Stockman
Victor Jr

Post by Stockman »

This does look very rare and precious. I think you gents are on to something big here.
I think these weight loss shakes are the future when it comes to weight loss.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I do not believe this reproducer ever came with a face plate.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Pathé Logical wrote:Nice barn find Hyperion!

My 1911 Columbia Favorite (earliest style with two doors covering the horn --- not louvers as found on later models) came with the same reproducer and corresponding, aluminum, pleated diaphragm. My reproducer has not been restored, and unfortunately the needlebar thumbscrew is broken off in the hole. Incidentally, a friend nearby has a late Columbia BII with the same reproducer. Neither of our reproducers have a "face plate" covering the diaphragm, nor do I know if they ever did originally. Note, the doughnut-shaped plate on the back of my reproducer in loose.

Hope the additional pics below help!
Bob
The ring that clips in over the gasket has a very small gap on yours, so I don't think that it was possible to have a cover. My early Columbia reproducer has a cover and a larger gap, (it also has other differences). This was from a Columbia DeLuxe, the second style with the doors over the horn. The tone arm on this one is built up and the long, conical section is brazed down the center. I don't get around that much, but I have never seen anything quite like this one.
Attachments
IMG_2881.JPG
IMG_2877.JPG
IMG_2880.JPG
IMG_2878.JPG