Large Edison horn: Can it be saved?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Large Edison horn: Can it be saved?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Today at an antique shop I found this large Edison horn for $40. I’ve been looking for a large witches hat horn like this for a while, but (of course) it’s missing the end. (Murphy’s Law strikes again!)

My question is: Was this a two piece horn and the bottom piece is missing? Or did somebody in the 1930s or so when this stuff was considered “old junk” saw the end off for another purpose?

Do you think it’s worth saving, or should I pass and wait for a better one?

For me this is the horn equivalent of finding a machine I’ve always wanted just to find a cheap 1950s turntable inside, or that record I’ve been looking for years in an album pulling it out and finding the record is broken in two. Close but no cigar!
Attachments
B18F0E21-7E59-4303-87E3-81DFC094D6D9.jpeg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Large Edison horn: Can it be saved?

Post by phonogfp »

Check to be sure there's a hanger. It looks like there's one on the left side, but I don't want to guess. If there's no hanger, this could be a front-mount disc machine horn.

If there's a hanger, it's a cylinder horn, but it's ruined. In that case, save your money for a good horn.

George P.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

phonogfp wrote:Check to be sure there's a hanger. It looks like there's one on the left side, but I don't want to guess. If there's no hanger, this could be a front-mount disc machine horn.

If there's a hanger, it's a cylinder horn, but it's ruined. In that case, save your money for a good horn.

George P.
Yes there is a hanger. Such a shame. I’m sure those of you who’ve been collecting for decades has ran into stuff like this. :(

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
phonogfp wrote:Check to be sure there's a hanger. It looks like there's one on the left side, but I don't want to guess. If there's no hanger, this could be a front-mount disc machine horn.

George P.
Yes there is a hanger. Such a shame. I’m sure those of you who’ve been collecting for decades has ran into stuff like this. :(
So how big was the horn?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Error in post; please delete.
Last edited by CharliePhono on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

gramophone-georg wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:

George P.
So how big was the horn?
It was pretty big! Definitely a lot larger than it looks in the photo! Maybe a 36 inch? It had this type of hook.
Attachments
6CB8C954-5706-42F9-9E9A-0A2A28BBE6D6.jpeg

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Post by Ripduf1 »

Hi Andy,
Where are you located?
John
Horns rolled and straightened

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ripduf1 wrote:Hi Andy,
Where are you located?
John
I didn’t buy it. Plus I’m saving my money for the other half of my Standard X. Plus the next time I’m there I’ll bet it will still be there because things don’t move fast at that particular store. (This was the same store I got my Amberola 30, VV-50, Oak XI And Edison Standard B from) They have a Lakeside disc machine for sale there for the past two or so years.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Actually I think it might be a 30inch. Or WAS a 30 inch before whatever circumstance caused the end to be cut off! :roll: Skunked again!
Attachments
B8B320F4-E54F-4D9C-B63C-1A9E30EA0FB3.gif
B8B320F4-E54F-4D9C-B63C-1A9E30EA0FB3.gif (3.42 MiB) Viewed 741 times