New VV IX

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
stetam
Victor II

New VV IX

Post by stetam »

Picked up this Victor VV IX last night at auction for $85. Pretty nice shape with the base cabinet and it sounds great. Looks to have been used very little. It also came with the original sales receipt which is nice.
However after about 15 winds of the handle it feel like a spring is slipping. I disassembled the spring barrel and it was loaded with hard clumpy grease. Sound like the slippage problem?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: New VV IX

Post by Jerry B. »

If you wind and do not reach the end of the spring you have a broken spring somewhere in the middle of the spring. If you can give it a full wind and it thumps you have hard grease. Regardless, it was a good buy for $85 and the original receipt is a special bonus.

Congratulations, Jerry B.

stetam
Victor II

Post by stetam »

Thanks Jerry B. That makes sense.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Looks like you have a late-model IX with the "fat tone arm" and no. 2 sound box. Nice find, especially with the base cabinet. Happy listening!

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Looks like it was a Christmas purchase, 100 years ago this year. How cool to have the original receipt.
I don't think they are accurate, but one website says it would have been $1065 in 2019 dollars.
Dave D

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

It's a killer combination with the base cabinet. Congratulations on getting a steal of a deal. I would have paid that for the cabinet alone.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

stetam
Victor II

Post by stetam »

Jerry B. wrote:If you wind and do not reach the end of the spring you have a broken spring somewhere in the middle of the spring. If you can give it a full wind and it thumps you have hard grease. Regardless, it was a good buy for $85 and the original receipt is a special bonus.

Congratulations, Jerry B.
Jerry B. you were correct. Now to cut and re-drill. Think I should redo the other one while I have it apart?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Stetam, If you shorten the spring a bit should you heat the new end red hot and dunk into water to change the temper of the metal? I remember watching Ira Dueltgen, my mentor collector, do this years ago. I spent many hours of pure enjoyment around his work bench.

Thanks, Jerry Blais

stetam
Victor II

Post by stetam »

Jerry B. wrote:Stetam, If you shorten the spring a bit should you heat the new end red hot and dunk into water to change the temper of the metal? I remember watching Ira Dueltgen, my mentor collector, do this years ago. I spent many hours of pure enjoyment around his work bench.

Thanks, Jerry Blais
Heat and let cool on its own. Rapid cooling will harden it.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

stetam wrote:
Jerry B. wrote:Stetam, If you shorten the spring a bit should you heat the new end red hot and dunk into water to change the temper of the metal? I remember watching Ira Dueltgen, my mentor collector, do this years ago. I spent many hours of pure enjoyment around his work bench.

Thanks, Jerry Blais
Heat and let cool on its own. Rapid cooling will harden it.
Stetam,

Yes, correct.