VV4-40 Crank not engaging

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
kollegekid
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Enthusiast in training

VV4-40 Crank not engaging

Post by kollegekid »

Hey everyone, I recently picked up a VV4-40 off craigslist (someone brought it to my attention on the ebay and craigslist alert section) and the crank seems to be problematic. I've dealt with VV-IVs, VV-VIs, VV-IXs, VV-100, etc. and have never seen a crank like the one that came with the VV4-40 I picked up this weekend. It does not seem to have a thread, so the crank does not engage when you spin it. I've attached some photos, and would appreciate any guidance. Does the crank look off? If not, any recommendations as to how to get the crank engaged?

Thanks for all your help,
Benji
Attachments
IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0425.JPG
IMG_0424.JPG
IMG_0427.JPG
Crank Pic 2
Crank Pic 2
Crank Pic 1
Crank Pic 1

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: VV4-40 Crank not engaging

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

It looks like a nice Victrola! That crank sure looks unusual. PM sent.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Hi Benji and welcome to the forum. The 4-40 is a fine Orthophonic machine and when properly serviced and having a rebuilt (or at least compliant) soundbox/reproducer, the sound is amazing.

As for the crank not engaging, I recall this same issue with a 4-40 I had years ago. IIRC, there is a pin that runs through the piece to which your crank is attached, and said pin has likely sheared off from repeated (or overzealous) cranking. When I enlarged one of your pictures, I believe I could see the shine from the sheared-off pin. If you grip that piece with the sheared pin using pliers or vice grip firmly (perhaps with a piece of cloth around the part before applying pressure from the pliers), you should find the crank will come out as it is reversed (again, operating from the mists of memory here). I procured a punch of the proper size, and with the piece held firmly in a bench vise, tapped out the broken/sheared pin. Here's where my repair was less than elegant: I located a nail of the same diameter, and making sure it was relatively snug in the hole, tapped it into place following which I filed off the protruding piece of nail. It worked fine and I never had a problem with the crank again.

Forgive me if I don't know the correct or exact nomenclature for the part into which the crank is screwed which in turn attaches to the winding shaft of your machine. As well, I'm sure others will weigh in with a more elegant repair, but I do know my "nail-fix" held and worked for me!

Regards,
Charlie P.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Like Charlie said, a few of the orthophonics had this weird receptacle for the crank. Be glad you actually have the piece, I was working on a VV-4-3 where it was missing. I could not figure out how the crank was supposed to connect. The motor looks like it needs a good cleaning anyway. When you take it apart you'll see how to attach the piece. Originally it used a tapered pin, but you can easily make one yourself from a penny nail.

Andreas

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Congrats on picking that machine up and saving it! You'll have a really nice looking and playing machine when all is said and done. If I may make a suggestion, if this is a machine you plan to use and enjoy regularly (as I would), I'd strongly suggest sending the reproducer off to our very own Wyatt (aka MicaMonster on here) and have it rebuilt, your records will thank you and so will your ears.

Good luck!

Sean

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Using a real taper pin is the way to go and are easy to order from McMaster. The pin holes I have come acrossed have been 3/32” in size (can be verified with a 3/32” drill bit). These would use the .094” size pins found here:

https://www.mcmaster.com/taper-pins