The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The Best Quality Steel Needles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:54 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
The Phonograph Stop
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:59 pm
Posts: 298
Location: Southern New Jersey
I am running low on steel needles. The past 2 eBay sellers I bought from I was not overly impressed with the quality of their needles. Even had some where they sounded great at first but wore out before one side! Others sounded horrible. Anyone have a source they can share or even an eBay seller that sells good quality needles?

I will be using them on a Victor Orthophonic Credenza and several Victor acoustic phonos.

Thanks everyone!
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Best Quality Steel Needles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:24 pm 
Offline
Victor V
His epigrams are all his own, the man's an epigramophone!
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm
Posts: 2538
Location: The Somerset Levels, UK.
Many of us use the needles supplied by forum member "soundgen" with complete satisfaction.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Best Quality Steel Needles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:40 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
The Phonograph Stop
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:59 pm
Posts: 298
Location: Southern New Jersey
epigramophone wrote:
Many of us use the needles supplied by forum member "soundgen" with complete satisfaction.

Thanks! I will check them out!
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Best Quality Steel Needles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:44 pm 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:01 pm
Posts: 2183
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
I'm working my way through a huge supply of Bry-O-Phonic steel needles that I ordered years ago from Martin Bryan, 37 Caledonia St., St. Johnsbury, VT 05819 (802-748-9264). These have given complete satisfaction in every way, and I recommend them. Also, they are reasonably priced in quantity. I have no idea whether the contact info above is current.

I have found that the soft-tone needles are the choice for 99% of my records. Rarely, I will use medium-tone on certain early acoustics. Loud-tone needles drive me out of the house, and I find them totally dispensable on my set-up (Exhibition on XI-G).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Best Quality Steel Needles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:57 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
The Phonograph Stop
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:59 pm
Posts: 298
Location: Southern New Jersey
Henry wrote:
I'm working my way through a huge supply of Bry-O-Phonic steel needles that I ordered years ago from Martin Bryan, 37 Caledonia St., St. Johnsbury, VT 05819 (802-748-9264). These have given complete satisfaction in every way, and I recommend them. Also, they are reasonably priced in quantity. I have no idea whether the contact info above is current.

I have found that the soft-tone needles are the choice for 99% of my records. Rarely, I will use medium-tone on certain early acoustics. Loud-tone needles drive me out of the house, and I find them totally dispensable on my set-up (Exhibition on XI-G).

Thanks for the info!
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Best Quality Steel Needles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:00 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:25 pm
Posts: 567
This discussion has come up a few times. I buy needles a lot of walt sommers (cyber_tigger on ebay). The last big discussion I believe he came in to defend his needles and had borderline microscopic pics of needle points before and after playing and he mentioned his is better quality then all of the rest on the market.

At the end of day, I do not know, but Walt's sound good to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Best Quality Steel Needles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:13 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
The Phonograph Stop
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:59 pm
Posts: 298
Location: Southern New Jersey
travisgreyfox wrote:
This discussion has come up a few times. I buy needles a lot of walt sommers (cyber_tigger on ebay). The last big discussion I believe he came in to defend his needles and had borderline microscopic pics of needle points before and after playing and he mentioned his is better quality then all of the rest on the market.

At the end of day, I do not know, but Walt's sound good to me.

Thanks Travis! I am sure his are fine but I found my go to guy for which I kinda lost for a bit on eBay lol. He sells Bry-O-Phonic which I loved when I bought them last year.

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-NEW-PHONOG ... 2749.l2649
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Best Quality Steel Needles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:14 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
The Phonograph Stop
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:59 pm
Posts: 298
Location: Southern New Jersey
pellicano1 wrote:
Henry wrote:
I'm working my way through a huge supply of Bry-O-Phonic steel needles that I ordered years ago from Martin Bryan, 37 Caledonia St., St. Johnsbury, VT 05819 (802-748-9264). These have given complete satisfaction in every way, and I recommend them. Also, they are reasonably priced in quantity. I have no idea whether the contact info above is current.

I have found that the soft-tone needles are the choice for 99% of my records. Rarely, I will use medium-tone on certain early acoustics. Loud-tone needles drive me out of the house, and I find them totally dispensable on my set-up (Exhibition on XI-G).

Thanks for the info!

If you need more in the near future: https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-NEW-PHONOG ... 2749.l2649

I prefer these as well. I just lost site of my seller until tonight lol.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Best Quality Steel Needles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:14 pm 
Offline
Victor Jr
User avatar
I Like Old Tech!
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:47 am
Posts: 33
Location: Kyle, Texas
I bought some from Amazon, dislike them. The seller was "Golden State Phonographs" - they seem to make puffs of black stuff (which I know is NOT good). None of my needles I have had (which are Columbia needles) do that. I am just trying to save the needles my dad and his grandmother (my great) had stocked piled. So I have ordered Bry-O-Phonic and also Soundgen's Gramophone needles.

Both of these from ebay and I just ordered earlier today.

https://www.ebay.com/str/soundgen/Other ... storecat=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-NEW-PHONOG ... ctupt=true

PS: travisgreyfox I love your avatar photo!
-----------
Richard
Columbia Type B 181874 - was my uncles, who found it in a ghost town (so he told me).
Victrola VV-IX 161087 G - was my great grandmothers, I remember dancing with her when I was 4 or so in her parlor.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Best Quality Steel Needles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:41 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
The Phonograph Stop
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:59 pm
Posts: 298
Location: Southern New Jersey
ODIE3 wrote:
I bought some from Amazon, dislike them. The seller was "Golden State Phonographs" - they seem to make puffs of black stuff (which I know is NOT good). None of my needles I have had (which are Columbia needles) do that. I am just trying to save the needles my dad and his grandmother (my great) had stocked piled. So I have ordered Bry-O-Phonic and also Soundgen's Gramophone needles.

Both of these from ebay and I just ordered earlier today.

https://www.ebay.com/str/soundgen/Other ... storecat=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-NEW-PHONOG ... ctupt=true

PS: travisgreyfox I love your avatar photo!

Yep, you'll be happy with the Bry-O-Phonics!
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.