The Best Quality Steel Needles

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AZ*
Victor IV

Re: The Best Quality Steel Needles

Post by AZ* »

I once found some old needles in a gramophone I purchased that looked like these. I never used them because they appeared used like most needles found in an old gramophone. So when I saw the Siren's for sale on ebay, I was curious and bought some. Results were so-so, like Charlie's and Van's. I was also concerned about record wear, since the 3 or 4 I tried generated too much black dust. :!:
Best regards ... AZ*

yankmycrank
Victor I

Post by yankmycrank »

I cannot recommend the Soundgen needles strongly enough. I've not encountered any other modern steel needle that copies the original Victor taper properly--it should begin roughly mid-way in the needle shaft, tapering to a point. All the others I've seen have a constant circumference shaft and then are sharpened to a point at the end. The sonic difference is very subtle--clarity of voices and instruments in the background of an acoustic recording are notably better with the original Victor taper than with two other types I've used. The soundgen needles come from England; for best price I recommend getting together with a few collectors and splitting up a large order of say 7000-10000 needles. You can mix and match needle types (loud, soft, medium) in the order, based on packets of 100.

ODIE3
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I Like Old Tech!

Post by ODIE3 »

i've noticed that taper. And the more that I have played these needles, I more I reach/pick for the Soundgens
-----------
Richard
Columbia Type B 181874 - was my uncles, who found it in a ghost town (so he told me).
Victrola VV-IX 161087 G - was my great grandmothers, I remember dancing with her when I was 4 or so in her parlor.

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

I recently bought some funky needles. The tips appeared to be simply sheared off with no attempt to smooth or round them.
Attachments
Poor quality control…
Poor quality control…
677E7AA7-DA22-4965-BB65-43186E3C7A47.jpeg (111.84 KiB) Viewed 234 times
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

CDBPDX wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:51 pm I recently bought some funky needles. The tips appeared to be simply sheared off with no attempt to smooth or round them.
That's disgraceful!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?