The Best Quality Steel Needles

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AZ*
Victor IV

Re: The Best Quality Steel Needles

Post by AZ* »

There have been many threads on this topic over the past 10 years on this forum and previously on other earlier, now defunct forums (OTVMMB). My personal steel needle preference is Soundgen's "soft tone" needles which are similar to OEM half-tone needles. They are my "go to" needles for my Victor Orthophonic machines, HMV re-entrants and HMV #4 soundbox "saxophone horn" machines. Soundgen sells 4 different tone/volume needles. His "extra soft" needles are similar to other vendor's "soft" needles. I have also used the Bryophonics, which are OK, but about one or 2 needles per 100 count pkg have bent/barbed tips. I always run the needles over my thumb and discard the duff needles.

I also like zwarteschijf_holland's (ebay) needles. I have not used Walt's needles which some people rave about.

But remember the old sayings, "Some people like Fords, some people like Chevys," or "Your mileage may vary."
Best regards ... AZ*

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Another wholehearted vote for soundgen's needles - there are none better in my opinion.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Walt’s needles are great. I have many of them.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2574606660

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

I just received a new supply of Soundgen's needles, and I am pleased to say that they are identical in style and quality to the ones I've purchased from him in the past.

Shipping from the UK to the western US took about a week.
Best regards ... AZ*

ODIE3
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I Like Old Tech!

Post by ODIE3 »

I have just bought & received both Bry-O-Phonic (US sourced) and Soundgen's needles (UK sourced). Both bought on USA Ebay. I like Soundgen's needles the best but that is not to say Bry-O-Phonic are bad at all.

I do know the ones I got from Amazon before learning about Bry-O-Phonic / Soundgen's needles, I have thrown away.

Oh, I doubt I'll ever need to buy needles again and perhaps not even my kids. Assuming they keep the player after I kick the bucket ;-)
-----------
Richard
Columbia Type B 181874 - was my uncles, who found it in a ghost town (so he told me).
Victrola VV-IX 161087 G - was my great grandmothers, I remember dancing with her when I was 4 or so in her parlor.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Out of curiosity, what do you all think about the spear-point needles sold on eBay?
Attachments
spear.jpg
spear.jpg (62.79 KiB) Viewed 1204 times

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

they will be great if unused , as they can be used as "Loud to Quiet" needles by rotating the spear point , which was the reason for manufacture , BUT they are still one play needles and should be discarded after one play or risk record damage

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The needles currently sold on eBay with the spear tips are the Chamberlain Siren Spear-Point, which is a new needle by Chamberlain Phonograph Needles and not a vintage one. The pattern is reminiscent of an antique needle design from the 1908 Sears, Roebuck catalog.

I have used them and, while they are certainly louder than loud, I do not like the record wear, nor the way in which one finds a few duds in each pack. Turning them from Loud to Quiet does not work. It is more like "Thunderous" turned to "Earsplitting." One cannot stay in the same room as the Victrola if playing an electric dance band recording.

That said, their soft-tone needles are fairly good. Walt's are my favorite but nothing is wrong with a Chamberlain when you've got 'em!

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:The needles currently sold on eBay with the spear tips are the Chamberlain Siren Spear-Point, which is a new needle by Chamberlain Phonograph Needles and not a vintage one. The pattern is reminiscent of an antique needle design from the 1908 Sears, Roebuck catalog.

I have used them and, while they are certainly louder than loud, I do not like the record wear, nor the way in which one finds a few duds in each pack. Turning them from Loud to Quiet does not work. It is more like "Thunderous" turned to "Earsplitting." One cannot stay in the same room as the Victrola if playing an electric dance band recording.

That said, their soft-tone needles are fairly good. Walt's are my favorite but nothing is wrong with a Chamberlain when you've got 'em!
I second what Charles said. I ordered some of these some time back, mostly as a novelty and just to try them. I may have used 3 or 4 of them over a 3-year period. I just don't -- as a friend of mine used to say -- like the cut of their jib. I suppose they're okay, but as Charles said, they are raucously loud, turning the needle has no effect at all to my ear, and I tend to feel they are hard on the records. They have sat on a shelf pretty much since I got them.
I likely will discard them at some point. That is only my 2 cents. Your results may vary :)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Your result was better than mine. I ordered 300 of the buggers when I rebuilt my first Victrola in 2016. The first record I played was the 1921 Ride of the Valkyries by Stokowski, and in my ignorance "Aw, this old thing can't have any real volume" I left the doors wide open.

It about ran my whole family out of the house!