Thomas A. Edison "TOOL CHECK" Brass Tag/Medallion

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Pathe Logical
Victor II

Thomas A. Edison "TOOL CHECK" Brass Tag/Medallion

Post by Pathe Logical »

Help please!

Info needed/requested on this odd Edison item. I am considering buying the piece pictured (about 1.25" diameter), but I'm not really sure what it is. Does anyone here have any insight into its age, use, origin and value etc.??? Where was this used?

Thanks for any help,
Bob
Attachments
TAE TOOL CHECK Tag (1 of 2).jpg
TAE TOOL CHECK  Tag (2 of 2).jpg

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Thomas A. Edison "TOOL CHECK" Brass Tag/Medallion

Post by HisMastersVoice »

These were attached to tools and used to check them out, or as inventory management on equipment. You can find these for pretty much any old company that had manufacturing facilities (Ford, Hamilton Beach, General Electric, Studebaker, you name it...)

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

These are interesting items that turn up pretty regularly. Employees in the Edison factory were assigned these tokens, which are stamped with a number assigned to each employee. When a worker needed a particular tool they would hand over the token to the person in charge of the tool department, and would then get it back when they returned the tool after use.

It was a handy bit of inventory control. If a specific tool was missing, the employee who borrowed it could be immediately identified.

Edit: Brandon beat me to it! :D

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

TinfoilPhono wrote:These are interesting items that turn up pretty regularly. Employees in the Edison factory were assigned these tokens, which are stamped with a number assigned to each employee. When a worker needed a particular tool they would hand over the token to the person in charge of the tool department, and would then get it back when they returned the tool after use.

It was a handy bit of inventory control. If a specific tool was missing, the employee who borrowed it could be immediately identified.

Edit: Brandon beat me to it! :D
But your explanation was more detailed and eloquent!

At one time I had about 50 of these from Ford that were unused and in sequential order. Most people use the tags from car companies as key fobs for their vintage cars.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Thanks Brandon and Rene! I really appreciate the quick responses!

Bob