VE-XVII vs VV-XVII

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
oldtvsandtoys
Victor II
Personal Text: Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.........Why Soitenly

VE-XVII vs VV-XVII

Post by oldtvsandtoys »

I have a VV-XVII and just bought a VE-XVII, I will be only keeping one. I know they made about 20,000 of the VV-XVII and only 2,500 of the VE-XVII. Both cabinets are nice. But which one is the keeper? Does the rarer VE-XVII being electric help or hurt it?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: VE-XVII vs VV-XVII

Post by Jerry B. »

I assume both machines are mahogany and in about equal condition. Collectors assign no greater value to the much more unusual VE models. I would keep the much more unusual and desirable VV-XVIII. In truth I don't think it's even close. Keep the XVIII you lucky dog. :D

Jerry Blais

Please disregard this reply. I misread the initial post and my reply does not apply. Sorry! Jerry Blais
Last edited by Jerry B. on Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

If both 17's are in excellent running condition either would be a good choice to keep, IMO. If you play a lot of records in one sitting the electric is nice.
The motor may need servicing if it hasn't been in operation recently. I have a fine contact who does wonderful work.
Electrics, especially the ones with universal motors will need a bit more periodic maintenance, in my experience.
I play my VE XVI more than any other!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

oldtvsandtoys
Victor II

Post by oldtvsandtoys »

Jerry B. wrote:I assume both machines are mahogany and in about equal condition. Collectors assign no greater value to the much more unusual VE models. I would keep the much more unusual and desirable VV-XVIII. In truth I don't think it's even close. Keep the XVIII you lucky dog. :D

Jerry Blais
I dont have a VV-XVIII

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

If the electric motor is in running condition, or gets properly serviced, keep it. You may be glad of it in the long run.

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

If you play lots of records, I'm with Bob, the VE is the keeper.
Otherwise the spring motor has more appeal to most people.
-bill

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I dont have a VV-XVIII
My mistake! :oops: Maybe I've inhaled too much paint remover fumes. In Oregon it has warmed up to nearly sixty and I've been busy working on projects. I could have sworn you were debating between a XVII and a XVIII. Jerry Blais

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

If you can't, or don't want to keep both, keep the one that you like best. I have always considered cranking the machine to be part of the charm and not an inconvenience, (45 years of cranking has not changed this). From my perspective as a former Tool and Die Maker and presently a Mechanical Engineer, the choice is easy. An Electrical Engineer or Radio collector would likely feel differently.

Are they both the same wood? Are they Mahogany? Are they both in approximately the same condition? These are unknowns to us, so my opinion is based on incomplete data. Speaking for myself, I enjoy seeing the machines.

oldtvsandtoys
Victor II

Post by oldtvsandtoys »

Does anyone sell parts to rebuild the motor. Will post pictures after I pick up the ve xvii. Looks like a nice machine.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

There are supply houses that have different sizes of electric motor brushes and other items. When you have a closer look at your motor setup please feel free to pm me.
Often it's the motor armature (which rotates while in contact with the two brushes) that needs a good cleaning.
There are some basic universal electric motor issues covered in the book "Look For The Dog."
Other components are the typical motor governor and spindle gears.
A full overhaul for mine cost around $140.00 from a good small electric motor company I've dealt with several times.
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo