What is the difference between Herzog and Pooley Amberola 1A

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

What is the difference between Herzog and Pooley Amberola 1A

Post by marcapra »

First, do we know at what serial number the Herzog Amberola 1A cabinets stop and the Pooley cabinets begin? And do all of the Pooley cabinets have the flat door bottoms, and all the Herzog cabinets have the curvy bottoms and sides?

Victor VI

Re: What is the difference between Herzog and Pooley Amberol

Post by 52089 »

The serial numbers overlap because many defective cabinets were received, so the numbers are simply the order they went out the door, not reflecting a range for each manufacturer.

Relevant thread and articles here:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... a+cabinets

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Thank you, those George Paul articles in The Sound Box were very enlightening on this subject! Marc.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks for the kind words, Marc. A lot of people on this forum helped by responding to a questionnaire on the 1A/1B.

George P.

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

I own two Amberola 1A machines. One is probably of Pooley manufacture and is serial no. 2338 in oak. My other Amberola 1A is serial no. 1057 in mahogany and has the 9" louver. It is a Weber cabinet design with front feet that flare out and curvy door bottom and sides. It has the lattice type inner grille work and a key that is unlike the dolphin or E key, although both of those keys will work. I noticed that the horn grille is unlike any of the other Roccoco II grilles I've seen in that there is no hole in the circle just below the urn. Also the arabesques are thicker than the ones on my Pooley cabinet. I used to think that my mahogany 1A was obviously of Herzog manufacture, but after reading Paul's article, it may be the product of the Saginaw Table and Cabinet Co due to the 9" louver.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

How about some photos of the machine you're questioning, Marc?

Sean