Brass orthophonic reproducer question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Chilesave
Victor II

Brass orthophonic reproducer question

Post by Chilesave »

I have a nice brass orthophonic reproducer, but I do not have an orthophonic machine.
My question is should I use it to play records on my victrola xvi? Would it sound better in that setup than the victor 2?

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Re: Brass orthophonic reproducer question

Post by mick_vt »

It would be a better reproducer for later records as it is much lighter

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Orthophonic, like the Mazda Miata, is always the answer. :)

I don't know if yours will fit the tone arm of an XVI. I haven't had luck fitting mine onto an earlier machine. Probably the tone arm bushing would change out nicely with one from a No. 2 and then it would work.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

mick_vt wrote:It would be a better reproducer for later records as it is much lighter

A brass Orthophonic, a Victor 2, and a Victor Exhibition all weigh in at 5.2 ounces, (including a needle).

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

Chilesave wrote:I have a nice brass orthophonic reproducer, but I do not have an orthophonic machine.
My question is should I use it to play records on my victrola xvi? Would it sound better in that setup than the victor 2?
Get yourself an Orthophonic machine. You will never look back.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

The Orthophonic system is comprised of the electrical recording equipment that recorded the record; the electrically recorded record; and the playback device that includes the reproducer and the horn. These components are all a part of a greater formula called the Theory of Matched Impedance that states that every electrical force has a mechanical equivalent and vice-versa. The size and shapes of most Orthophonic horns are scientifically designed according to this formula to optimally reproduce the amount of sound energy that the electrical recording system put into the record groove. The use of an Orthophonic reproducer on an acoustical recording era machine totally misses the point of the Orthophonic system. It’s a system — not just any one single part of it that makes for the characteristic sound of electrical recordings.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

JohnM wrote:The Orthophonic system is comprised of the electrical recording equipment that recorded the record; the electrically recorded record; and the playback device that includes the reproducer and the horn. These components are all a part of a greater formula called the Theory of Matched Impedance that states that every electrical force has a mechanical equivalent and vice-versa. The size and shapes of most Orthophonic horns are scientifically designed according to this formula to optimally reproduce the amount of sound energy that the electrical recording system put into the record groove. The use of an Orthophonic reproducer on an acoustical recording era machine totally misses the point of the Orthophonic system. It’s a system — not just any one single part of it that makes for the characteristic sound of electrical recordings.

But, there's no harm in trying either.......

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

JerryVan wrote:

But, there's no harm in trying either.......
This... though it looks like it's sold (Yankee Trader)

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

I found an adapter ring for attaching an Ortho sound box to my VV-X. It works fine.