Ragtime Rastus Disk

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
whitedogfive
Victor O

Ragtime Rastus Disk

Post by whitedogfive »

I have a ragtime rastus doll complete and in working order. My problem is with the disk that contacts the record. It does contact the record but it does not spin, the record just spins under it. It appears there is not enough friction to spin the disk. I have tried other records and even just the felt alone, but to no avail. If I put tape on the spindle, the disk spins and the dolls dances, but only for half the record, as the tape eventually twists off.
Is there a trick to getting this to work? If the disk has been polished due to use, and there is not enough friction, what can be done?

Thanks.

whitedogfive
Victor O

Re: Ragtime Rastus Disk

Post by whitedogfive »

I finally figured it out. Upon further inspection of the disk, I noticed a hairline crack that was increasing the diameter of the spindle hole. I decided to get a hose clamp of proper size and voila, it worked. The clamp closed the diameter to the proper size. Hopefully, this fix will last awhile, but I am on the lookout for a reproduction part.
Thanks.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I have the same problem with my Ragtime Rastus.I put it on the spindle of my phonographs,but it doesn't move.I could try a hose clamp of the proper diameter.edisonplayer

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

There's something called "Plasti Dip" that might help you. It's a liquid that hardens into a rubberized solid. It was designed to add grips to tools like pliers, but it has many other uses. Collectors of the old RCA 45 players use it to restore the rubberized wheels in those record changers.

You could certainly dip your wheel into the stuff and gain a lot of traction. The challenge would be allowing it to dry without it dripping down and becoming uneven. Worst case you could probably peel it off and try again without too much effort.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

My Ragtime Rastus is missing the disc.There's only the piece that goes over the spindle of the turntable.Is it possible to make a new disc for the spindle attachment?edisonplayer