Does he know what he is doing?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Retrograde
Victor III

Re: Does he know what he is doing?

Post by Retrograde »

Years ago I found a VV-VIII at a flea market that I wanted to buy. The guy insisted on played a record for me, and he played it on the wrong side just like this guy in the video! I didn't need the demo, but I thanked the guy and bought the machine anyway.

One thing you may be thinking is "How can the tone arm even go on the wrong side of the spindle?" This version of the VV-VIII did not have a semi-auto brake to prevent it from swinging all the way across. I found out the hard way that it possible for a correctly played record to end with the needle skating across the spindle and gouging a spiral in the label! Oh,Sh!T

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Any idiot can post a video. The secret is knowledge is power. That's why this Forum is so great. Most of the members have the skills and knowledge to give correct information to the newbies.
Harvey Kravitz

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

OrthoSean wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:I wonder if this video is one of the rare cases where putting the tonearm on the right side of the record is incorrect? :|

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4cPS3vpKkQs
Oh my. And playing at like 95 RPM.

Well again, educate the poster if it bothers you, or try. Not everyone wants to listen.

Incidentally, I watched with great pain the entire video of the guy with that VV-VIII. I stopped counting the mistakes and could do nothing more than laugh at his typical "dealer" type comments that the "low" (5000-something) serial number and condition meant a price of "hundreds". I have a perfect VIII that's cleaned, serviced, polished and ready for a new home that's far nicer than the one this guy posted I'd be glad to sell for $250 and no less. Don't y'all come running at once! 8-)

Sean
Well, that video was made in 2014. And there is a later video where they show the machine playing with the arm on the correct side of the record. So I’ve think they educated themselves since. I’m sure we’ve all made these same newbie mistakes when we started. Especially people who got in the hobby during the 1950s-1990s when information was more scarce outside of a few books and primitive websites. Ie. Playing the wrong records with the wrong players, reusing steel needles more than once or twice, and putting the tonearm on the wrong side of the record.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Retrograde wrote:Years ago I found a VV-VIII at a flea market that I wanted to buy. The guy insisted on played a record for me, and he played it on the wrong side just like this guy in the video! I didn't need the demo, but I thanked the guy and bought the machine anyway.

One thing you may be thinking is "How can the tone arm even go on the wrong side of the spindle?" This version of the VV-VIII did not have a semi-auto brake to prevent it from swinging all the way across. I found out the hard way that it possible for a correctly played record to end with the needle skating across the spindle and gouging a spiral in the label! Oh,Sh!T
Interesting: my VV-IX does not have an auto brake; but there is a stop which prevents the tone arm swinging past the spindle.

Bill

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

this guy makes a 20 minute video that could have been done in 5! It's a waste of time for a long description of the Victor Talking Machine Co. and too much time is spent on comparing his Victrola with a more desirable open horn Victor. And he seems to be fixed on years as a clue to value. He's obviously an antique store owner or clerk trying a sell something he knows little about.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Oh, wow, thanks to AZ for pointing out this post that I would have otherwise missed. This video is GOLD! This guy is hilarious.

I've worked at an antique mall and I used to frequent them more than I currently do. I've met so many people like this in those places. They're so CONFIDENT! (and uninformed). But what they lack in information they make up for in CONFIDENCE! I should have so much. this guy making a video on Victrolas is like me giving a makeup tutorial.

Thank you for tuning in and uh, goodnight.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

JW, when are you going to do the make-up tutorial? I need one. Marc.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

:lol:

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Jwb88 wrote:Oh, wow, thanks to AZ for pointing out this post that I would have otherwise missed. This video is GOLD! This guy is hilarious.

I've worked at an antique mall and I used to frequent them more than I currently do. I've met so many people like this in those places. They're so CONFIDENT! (and uninformed). But what they lack in information they make up for in CONFIDENCE! I should have so much. this guy making a video on Victrolas is like me giving a makeup tutorial.

Thank you for tuning in and uh, goodnight.
Yes! You are right about that! This is the “classical typical” dealer. I rented a booth one time at a store and had a couple of typical VV-VI models from maybe 1916. He said I need to put a couple of Edison’s on there, that will get them sold. I told him no, you don’t want to put Edison’s on there because they are not compatible and it would damage the record and that a needle type Edison is hard to find, and may be worth more than the machine. So anyways he looked at me like I was some kid that didn’t know anything (I was in my late 20’s). I stiff laugh to this day.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

The person who posted this video isn’t at fault. But I hope the person who runs the museum this machine is In doesn’t keep making this mistake every time the machine is demonstrated.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-K7YTE2TJAg